N.E.R.D
In Search Of
Virgin

I’m at a loss for words. I have never heard anything like N.E.R.D before. In a world of stagnant hip-hop (the funk experimentation of Outkast aside) N.E.R.D is like a breath of fresh something. I don’t exactly know what to call it. N.E.R.D (No-one Ever Really Dies) are the The Neptunes, arguably hip-hop’s best producers (Ludacris—Southern Hospitality, Britney Spears—I’m a Slave) taking their own turn behind the mic. With In Search Of, N.E.R.D have produced some of the most beautiful and innovative beats imaginable, blending hip-hop, funk, psychedelic, thrash and live instrumentation. The album’s weak point are the lyrics—the rhymes are juvenile, but strangely fitting. I really don’t know how people will react to this album. As for me, I’ve been listening to it over and over trying to decide if I like it. This could be the year’s Stankonia, or a total bomb. I’m curious to see what happens.

Rating: V? VV? VVV? VVVV? VVVVV?
Sho Kosugi

The Ataris
…anywhere but here
Kung-Fu Records

According to legend, this band’s success was due to some crafty work by one of the fearsome foursome back in 1999, who slipped their demo tape to the Vandals after a show. Three years later, they find themselves finishing their fifth album under the auspices of production man and Vandals guitarist Warren Fitzgerald. The album stands at twenty-one songs and just under forty minutes of power-pop punk. Supporting bands like Blink-182, Lagwagon and Mad Caddies should give you a good indication of what they sound like. Their lyrical content, if you can stomach it, is punk-pop gone soft and gooey with songs about love gone wrong, how could she do this to my heart and why do I miss her so…who knew punk had feelings?

Rating:VVV
Chunger

Mi6
Lunchbox
Kung Fu

Although the pop/punk scene has been completely destroyed by the majors, there still exists a stable underground culture of purists who haven’t traded it all in for the bright lights and flashy tour busses. Mi6 know what real punk’s about. They keep the flame alive with songs that are primal yet intricate, upbeat yet introspective. OK, they’re feeding off a structure that was invented almost two decades ago, but it works perfectly, so why fuck with it? With one listen, you instantly know that there is still a future for punk with harmonic sensibility, and it doesn’t involve fat cheques and losers who think Good Charlotte invented mohawks.

Rating: VVVV
Keith Carman

Belvedere
‘Twas Hell Said Former Child
The Union

This Vancouver group were once little more than pop/punk jokers who were playing the biggest gag on themselves, but they’ve obviously been paying attention to the scene as of late. And they’ve managed to wrangle some of that intelligent influence into their own sound, creating tunes that are somewhat poppy, but now feature good wanky solos, an emo lyricist’s sensibilities and a smidgen of a hardcore beat (not sound…beat). Upbeat, fun and a vast improvement, this is a welcome addition to the Canuck punk scene.

Rating: VVV
Al Gaunt

Bodyjar
How It Works
Nitro

Quite possibly Australia’s finest export, Bodyjar blow goofball bands like Frenzal Rhomb out of the water with powerful, straight-ahead pop/punk that isn’t afraid to show its teeth. Upbeat, introspective songs fill this disc to overflowing, and it’s virtually impossible to get most of the melodies out of your head after Round One. Solid production only serves to enhance an already impressive package. Tracks like “Not The Same,” “Clean Slate” and “Feed It” feature driving rhythm, intelligent lyrics and wicked vibe. And the best part is that this Fat-sounding band is on Nitro, giving both parties instant cred.

Rating: VVVV
Mike Knight

Richard Hell
Time
Matador

Someone once said “If you don’t now, you never were.” Well, here’s your last chance to catch on before you’re lost forever. Compiling some of Richard Hell’s lost work with a couple of live performances and pre-released gems, Time is probably the single most essential punk album anyone remotely interested in the term should own. The precursor to all forms of glam rock, punk or indie, Hell (a seminal member of the Neon Boys, Heartbreakers and Voidoids) certainly has creativity that exceeds ability, but so did Johnny Rotten and Kurt Cobain, and I bet you own their shit…

Rating: VVVVV
Keith Carman