And you thought final exams were bad. Graduating and new teachers are worried that the timing and organization of a new mandatory teacher’s test could force hundreds, perhaps even thousands, of otherwise qualified teachers to be barred from the classroom next year.

Despite the possibility of worsening Ontario’s teacher shortage, the Ministry of Education is sticking to their guns with a plan that requires all prospective teachers graduating from university or college this year to pass a test on April 27.

While the possibility of testing has been known since the fall, it was only last Friday that the government confirmed that the testing would be required for certification this year. They gave students one week to register for the test, even though the registration forms had only been made available less than two weeks before and were hard to come by for many.

In addition to graduating students, over 500 practising teachers who hold interim teaching certificates will also have to write the test. Many have yet to be informed, despite the fact that the deadline for registration is this Friday.

Students who have sought out teaching degrees in the States will not face the same testing. At a press conference on Tuesday, Larry Capstick, chair of the Ontario College of Teachers, said, “Hundreds of Ontario residents who have crossed the border to take education degrees at US border colleges and are doing their practice teaching right here in Ontario don’t have to write this test in order to start teaching here in September. This gives students training across the border an advantage in the job market.”

Attempts to distribute registration forms before the fast-approaching deadline have been disastrous. Faculties across the province have run out of forms. Both U of T and York’s faculties have encountered shortages. Students seeking alternate test days due to religious conflicts or accessibility issues were required to hand forms in last Friday, just five days after distribution.

Sheila Patel, the external coordinator of OISE/UT student teachers’ union and a teacher-candidate, is not happy. “We have to wonder why the ministry is moving forward when obviously they are not prepared and the test has not been fully developed,” she said.

The Ontario College of Teachers is calling for this year’s examinations not to be a requirement for certification. Joe Atkinson, the registrar of Ontario College of Teachers, recommended that the government “use the results to ensure the test is valid, that it measures what it is supposed to measure. Then make it a requirement for all new recipients of a certificate of qualification from the college beginning in 2003.”

The Ministry of Education claims that the test has, in fact, been adequately developed.

Rob Savage, senior strategic communications advisor to the Minister, said the tests have been field tested with various groups of student teachers. “We feel it is important that we move forward with this process,” said Savage.

The ministry also denies that adequate warning was not given to student teachers. The legislation specific to the test was passed last fall, said Savage, and there was never any indication that its results would not be counted. The ministry says the number of registration forms distributed to faculties was double that of potential candidates. However, Savage said deadlines will be flexible in light of the logistical troubles that have plagued the process.

But the college fears that qualified teachers will fail the test, leaving Ontario schools increasingly plagued by shortages. Atkinson warned, “Any requirement that limits the number of trained applicants available to be hired exacerbates this already serious problem.” No other province requires teachers to pass an examination of this kind.

The College stressed that they do not oppose the test, but its unfair and inequitable implementation. They say the test results cannot be deemed credible in light of the lack of development that has gone into formulating the exam.

Students at OISE have been “baffled by the lack of organization and foresight and logic” that has surrounded this initiative, says Patel. A rally involving faculties from across Ontario is planned for March 27 outside of OISE, moving to the Ministry of Education and then Queen’s Park.