David Suzuki’s lecture on March 25 was a real success—perhaps too much so. The Students’ Administrative Council will take legal action in a few weeks unless the club that organized the event returns the $5,000 it received from SAC.

Alex Kerner, president of SAC, claims, “There have been repeated attempts to get financial statements about the event and significant evidence to show it was for-profit.” SAC only funds non-profit events and groups.

Andrew Lefoley is president of Synthesis, a not-for-profit club. Because of the time it takes to receive bills for speaking and venue rental, he says the club doesn’t have final figures yet for the event.

The Suzuki lecture brought out more than 1,250 people, with students paying $10 and adults $15. If there is indeed a profit, SAC and Synthesis are not in agreement as to what should be done.

Kerner wants $5,000 returned to SAC so it will be available for clubs in need. Lefoley says if Synthesis profits, the money should be saved for next year’s events, noting that with major speaking events they sometimes make a surplus and sometimes lose money.

But SAC sold the advance tickets and estimate that Synthesis made around $14,000 from the event, give or take $1,000. University Affairs Commissioner Agata Durkalec says the club should return SAC’s $5,000, since it was given to them under the assumption they would not make a profit.

Durkalec alleges that when applying for the money, Synthesis deliberately distorted their budget—for example, doubling the cost of renting Convocation Hall.

She says Lefoley and Synthesis vice-president Matthew Lenner were repeatedly contacted about returning the money, but, according to Durkalec, remained “totally unresponsive.”

Photograph by Simon Turnbull