An “Evening of Engagement” was about dialogue, mutual understanding and creative expression shared between groups that so often find themselves at odds—Palestinians, Jews, Arabs, Israelis, and Muslims. But most of all, it was about finding a common sense of humanity.

“It was a long journey for me to first truly discover the humanity of the Palestinians, and then to see what my people, who had been so persecuted by others, were doing to another people,” said Judith Weisman, her voice breaking with emotion. Weisman, 72, who said she was probably the oldest person attending the gathering at U of T’s Koffler Institute, described how virulent anti-Semitism in her youth influenced her to become “a very passionate Zionist.”

Weisman took part in a facilitated dialogue between members of various communities affected by the conflict in the Middle East.

The evening began with a series of creative presentations including music, dance and drama. The show was a unique blend of cultural experience that included Sufi music, Sephardic and Ashkenaz Jewish songs, traditional belly dancing and more.

“I really feel that music is transformative for us. It opens people up, it brings people together,” said Aaron Lightstone, who performed with the group Shakshuka.

“[Music] erases some cultural boundaries…it makes us more aware of the things that are positive in our cultures that are butting heads. The appreciation of another culture’s art or music makes you realize that they are a human culture that is valued,” added Angela Hammar, who also performed with Shakshuka.

After a brief intermission, the evening moved from creative expression to a dialogue facilitated by Janis Galway. Individuals from different communities took to the stage to discuss their experiences of racism and prejudice as members of their respective backgrounds.

James Sevitt organized the event with fellow U of T student Avi Zer-Aviv. Sevitt explained to participants the event was “a response to a glaring lack of honest and productive communication between communities that is instead so often suffused with two mutually exclusive and dueling narratives—one is either ‘pro-Israeli’ or ‘pro-Palestinian.’”

Sevitt and Zer-Aviv chose to use dialogue, a tool they feel is more productive than conventional debates. “Dialogue is about presenting a viewpoint without delegitimizing others, creating a space in which an amalgamation of narratives can cohabitate, learning and developing from each other.”

One of the participants in the dialogue was graduate student Ayesha Chaudhry.

Chaudhry, who wears a traditional Muslim headdress, told the other participants about her experiences with racism. “[Racism] has basically defined my personality, I’ve never been accepted. I’ve been a ninja, or a terrorist, or some other thing.”

Later, Weismann admitted to Chaudhry, “This is the first time I’ve sat next to someone who wears the veil,” adding, “It is extremely interesting to sit next to you and hear you speak in a very intellectual kind of way, and you’re obviously a feminist…so you’re kind of breaking all kinds of stereotypes. Thank you.”

After the dialogue, Chaudhry admitted to being hesitant to participate. She said she knew of other Muslim students who had chosen not to attend. “People are worried about the stigma that would be attached to their name or to their group if they were to participate in this event with certain groups that are not acceptable in the mainstream community.”

Chaudhry said the success of the event would help to break down this stigma.

At the end of the evening Zer-Aviv explained, “My deepest hope is that this will be a catalyst for something much more intense and much more long term, because I really [think] that we either sink together or swim together.”