The Hart House Rifle and Revolver clubs have always been known for their deadly accuracy, but the past year’s success can only be described as a bull’s-eye.

Revolver member Deepinder Singh had tremendous success at the National Pistol Championships in Alberta. Singh’s stellar performance earned him a spot on the Canadian national team in two Olympic disciplines, 50m free pistol and 10m air pistol.

The Hart House Rifle Club can also boast success on the national stage. They scored big at the Shooting Federation of Canada 2003 nationals in Calgary that ran from July 11-20.

Four members of the Ontario team were from U of T: Garros Fung, Cindy Peart, Keith Luk and Nicholas Charland.

“Literally, we have travelled thousands of kilometres to seek perfection at the scale of millimetres,” said Fung, who has been on the rifle team since 1997. “Shooting is no different than any other professional sport: it requires a lot of physical and mental training … and attention to detail.”

When asked whether he felt any pressure representing U of T on a national stage, Garros replied that a sense of pride outweighed other stresses. “Our team has been to the Toronto league and provincial competitions, but this is the first time we went to the nationals as a team.”

Fung placed first in the second group of the sporting rifle prone expert class event, with Keith Luk finishing right behind him in second. Cindy Peart took fourth and Nick Charland grabbed a tenth place finish.