Hello SEC,

As my girlfriend is doing all the work to stay pregnancy-free, I thought I’d look into my options for helping her out. I’ve heard talk of a male contraceptive pill or shot, do these really exist? If not, can I expect them to eventually exist?

Concerned Sperm Maker

It’s refreshing to hear that you want to take a more active role in the prevention of unplanned children, but unfortunately, a contraceptive pill/injection for men is still MIA. While the “future is now” mentality of the mid-90’s led many to believe a male hormonal contraceptive would be ready in time for the new millennium, current estimates consider us about three years away from any form of marketed hormonal contraceptives for men. In the mean time, here are a few things you can do to help out the birth control effort: condoms-both affordable and manageable-are great in conjunction with other methods of birth control such as the pill or vaginal contraceptive film. Splitting the cost of whatever form of birth control your partner favours (the pill, spermicide, small nuclear missiles) is also a snazoo way to show you care. Take an active role in choosing a method that suits your needs; do a little research so you actually know what things like diaphragms are, and find new methods to try out in order to find the perfect method of birth control for you as a couple. After all, what lady wouldn’t be impressed by a potential suitor who’s handy with removing a cervical cap?

Dear SEC,

A former sexual partner of mine recently informed me that he has tested positive for HIV. I want to get tested immediately but he said it might be good to wait, what’s up with that? The sooner I get tested, the better, right?

Optimistically Negative

Depending on when you had sex with your partner, it may be a good idea to wait a few weeks before being tested. The vast majority of HIV tests actually screen the body for HIV antibodies, immunoglobulins that are produced naturally to combat disease. As it takes your body a while to develop antibodies, it’s a good idea to wait before being tested so you avoid any potential false negatives. As a general rule of thumb, antibodies become apparent within a few weeks after infection, but we at SEC recommend you wait between 10 and 12 weeks before being tested. Additionally, follow-up testing is a good idea to ensure your HIV status.

On this note, we cannot stress the importance of anonymous HIV testing enough. The status of your sexual health is the business of only you and your intimates, so we recommend you familiarize yourself with the Hassle Free Clinic on Church/Wellesley. Appointments are necessary for HIV testing, so check at their website at www.hasslefreeclinic.org. (Incidentally, STD testing is on a walk-in and hassle-free basis, so all you burning pee kids should hit them up, too.)

Additionally, you might want to extend a word of thanks to your former partner for notifying you of such a potential health risk. Contracting STD’s/STI’s might not make you feel like a million bucks, but letting someone know they may be in harm’s way will.