An intimate Native ceremony at First Nations House on Tuesday commemorated the beginning of 16 Days of Activism Against Gender Violence, an ongoing forum running on campus until Dec. 10.

Led by Elder Lillian McGregor, the cleansing ritual involved the burning of cedar, tobacco and sage. The smouldering ashes were then passed around to aid in the inner cleansing of the attendees.

The 16 Days forum is in its second year at U of T, and seeks to enlighten people about violence against women. On Dec. 6, a candlelight vigil will be held in memorial of the women murdered during the Montreal Massacre in 1989 as part of the event. The opening event coincided with the International Day Against Violence Against Women, and other events will correspond to the International Day of Disabled Persons (Dec. 3) and World AIDS Day (Dec. 1).

“We felt it was an important undertaking to educate people on campus,” noted Cheryl Champagne, assault counsellor educator with the Counselling and Learning Skills Service, who revealed that there has been an increase in criminal harassment on campus in recent years. “There’s a recognition that for a lot of people that’s [the massacre] not a part of their history.” Champagne also stressed that the events have “both a national and international focus.”

“The beauty is that there’s a whole eclectic blend,” echoed Allison Drew of the Community Safety Office.

The ceremony also featured a performance by drummer/singer Brenda MacIntyre of the Spirit Wind Drum Group. “Ceremony is always a good thing,” she said. “This was all about gratitude. When I sing, I’m in prayer,” continued MacIntyre, who hopes to help women get their voices out. “When you let that voice out, it feels good.”

The 16 Days forum, which also features films and workshops, runs until Dec. 10, which is also International Human Rights Day.