For several decades, cognitive neuroscientists have been trying to locate the region in the brain responsible for perfect pitch, or absolute pitch (AP), the ability to name or reproduce any sound of a given pitch without any reference tone. As it turns out, there is no definite answer as to which part of the brain is responsible for AP. However, past attempts to tap into the neural components of this musical ability have suggested the following:

The left posterior dorsolateral prefrontal cortex. When listening to tones, this region lights up more among individuals with AP than among those without. This area is known to be involved in forming associations in memory during learning. Since AP is an ability that involves attaching a name to a pitch, this part of the brain is a logical candidate region.

The left planum temporale. Situated in the auditory area of the brain, this region shows stronger activation among musicians with AP than those without, and is known to be involved in various aspects of pitch processing.

The superior temporal cortex. Information from the ears also feeds into this area. Pictures from several studies have shown that among individuals with AP, the superior temporal cortex in the left side of the brain tends to be larger. However, the specific reasons for this structural difference is still uncertain.

It is difficult to say whether there is a precise region or a specific pattern of activity in the brain that is unique to individuals with the rare ability of perfect pitch. What complicates the question is the argument from some researchers that perfect pitch is not always “perfect.” Individuals who supposedly have AP tend to make more errors in identifying and reproducing notes that correspond to the black keys of the keyboard, as opposed to the white ones; black-key notes occur less frequently in compositions. If indeed there is a region in the brain where AP resides, more research needs to be done.