My interest in SAC began last year when I ran for Vice President of University Affairs with my most insane but inspirational friend, Mike Andreae (who ran for president). I also ran with fellow Victorians Iain Myrans and Ari Kopolovic (Vic SAC reps). It was quite an experience and in the end Mike and I lost but the rest of our “ticket” got elected.

Since then I’ve spent a considerable amount of time at board meetings with Ari and Iain as both observer and participant by proxy (they give me their vote when they’re unavailable). After so much time wasted at frustrating meetings, what is my opinion of SAC? I actually like it.

If there’s one reason to like SAC, it’s the pizza. If you’re patient, interested, or in desperate need of a life, and sit through the first few hours of a SAC board meeting, there is the tangible reward of pizza and pop. I’ve attended enough meetings to get my SAC fees’ worth, which is good because I never got around to joining any clubs.

But seriously, SAC is notorious for its infighting. What begins as healthy, productive debate often degenerates into something that reminds me of two guys duking it out on the ice. The difference is that no one’s watching; it happens too often and it destroys SAC’s credibility.

Fortunately this doesn’t happen all the time. I’ve seen it with my own eyes, moments of zen when tongues and middle fingers were kept in check and glorious consensus was formed. The best example of this was probably the amazingly short four hour board meeting at UTSC.

When SAC gets its act together it really can do something for students. The long lines for the discounted metropass are proof of this. If SAC would just focus on what it does best: acquiring discounts and services that matter to students, funding clubs and organizing events, it would become so much more relevant.

Instead, there are some on SAC who seem to believe they are blessed with superior powers of intellect and that they must go out on crusades and pass pointless motions declaring ludicrous foreign policies or, even more inexplicably, attempt to rename the Louis B. Stewart Observatory (one of Toronto’s oldest historical landmarks) the “solidarity tower.” This last example is proof enough that these members don’t believe they are adequately serving their students. Is there any other reason to resort to such needless symbolism? I am reminded of communist states that seemed to always have the words “democratic,” “people’s,” or “republic” in their names despite the fact that they were anything but.

It may seem that I’ve listed more faults than virtues, but I am going to end on a positive note. SAC is one of Canada’s largest student unions, operates one of the largest organizational health plans in Canada, has a sizeable budget and brings home discounts that students can really take advantage of. Who else is as well positioned to do anything for students? SAC may be divided between ardent socialist-politicos and irritated moderates but it still has the potential to matter to students. That potential is why I like SAC.

So bug your SAC rep (or check the Web site) for the next board meeting and come on down. Hopefully, your presence will remind the board that their primary responsibility is to make your time at U of T more than four years and a diploma. The meetings may be long but you can study during the dull parts and hey, maybe you and I can grab a slice and watch them slug it out.