The Polaris Prize is an annual music award given to the best “full-length Canadian album, judged soly on artistic merit, without regard to genre or record sales.” It comes with a cheque for $20,000, which has been put to good use by previous winners. Rumour is that Final Fantasy’s Owen Pallet donated half the money to his label, Blocks Recording Club, and Patrick Watson used the money to pay the damages on a Budget rental van that his band totalled. As you can see, the award might not be tabloid fodder just yet, but one lucky Canadian artist will hit the jackpot at the gala next week. The Varsity separates the contenders from those who suck.

Rob Duffy

Who will win

Shad — The Old Prince

Here’s hoping that Shad wins the 20 grand, because, as he admitted in the title of his new single, “The Old Prince Still Lives At Home.” Shad deserved the Polaris just for the video, which was a shot-for-shot remake of the opening credits of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, played in reverse order to find Shad back at the nest, alone in his room.

Who should win

Caribou — Andorra

Caribou’s Dan Snaith crafted a genius formula with Andorra – Beach Boys vocals over a bed of 60s psychedelia that had legions of hipsters singing along to “Desiree.”

Who shouldn’t have been shortlisted

Kathleen Edwards — Asking For Flowers

So let’s get this straight: there’s Sarah Harmer, Sarah Slean, Sarah McLachlan…why wasn’t Kathleen Edwards named Sarah? And didn’t Lilith Fair call it quits in 1999? Who still listens to this stuff?

Who should have been shortlisted

Cadence Weapon — Afterparty Babies

Denied two years ago, the Edmonton MC didn’t even make the short list this year. Let’s hope he’s still having fun at the after parties. Something tells me he’s got that covered.

Chandler Levack

Who will win

Caribou — Andorra

U of T math whiz Daniel Snaith‘s Brian Wilson-influenced Andorra is highly reminiscent of last year’s would-be shoe-in, Miracle Fortress. Trust this year’s Polaris board to turn back time and find a way.

Who should win

Holy Fuck — S/T

The explanation behind Stephen Harper’s federal cuts to Canadian artists, Toronto’s prolific electro outfit deserve far more than their scapegoat status. Fear is four-letter word too, you know.

Who shouldn’t have been shortlisted

Stars — In Our Bedroom After the War

Fulfilling the Polaris’ Broken Social Scene member-quotient, Stars’ boring follow up to 2005’s Set Yourself On Fire has the love-lorne Montrealers up to their old tricks: orchestral chamber pop, sweet morning-after laments that read like an aspartame hangover, and the tortured (read: dubious) sexuality of Morrisey-lite Torquil Campbell.

Who should have been shortlisted

Sandro Perri — Tiny Mirrors

Toronto experimental artist Sandro Perri’s intimately crafted full-length debut was a breathtaking foray into hand-plucked folk that spoke achingly of love. Collaborating with some of Toronto’s most talented improvisers, his inspired arrangements veer delightfully into ambient noise, samba, and free jazz. Obviously, Canada’s critical public was too exhausted from their Kevin Drew jack-off session to bump Perri to the shortlist, ongoing since 2001.

Wyndham Bettencourt-McCarthy

Who will win

Black Mountain — In the Future

The most hyped to emerge from the rainy west rode last year’s prog tidal wave with their coattails blazing. Judges love any genre revival, and these aww-shucks kids are perfect for the part.

Who should win

Caribou — Andorra

A John Cale for the twenty-first century, Dan Snaith takes typical heartbreak angst and covers it with honey. “Irene,” a discombobulated “Stephanie Says” for the slacker set, is worthy of the prize on its own.

Who shouldn’t have been shortlisted

Stars — In Our Bedroom After the War

Don’t get me wrong, I have no hate-on for these endearing, Montreal-based romantics. But when you are selling out Exhibition Place, do you really need $20,000?

Who should have been shortlisted

Destroyer—Trouble in Dreams

The judges will be kicking themselves into next month for not giving props to Dan Bejar’s brilliantly woozy European blues. But alas, a penny for his thoughts was never (even close) to enough.