The year 2030 may seem like a lifetime away. Not so to U of T president David Naylor, whose Towards 2030 plan promises gradual but far-reaching change. The plan, which was passed by the Academic Board on Oct. 2, proposes the deregulation of tuition and ancillary fees while cutting undergraduate enrolment in favour of graduate students.

Towards 2030 anticipates increasing post-secondary enrolment across Ontario and widening doors at other universities. Naylor promotes the “self-regulation” of tuition and ancillary fees, which cover non-academic costs like athletic services. That would mean the university can set its own fees. The document also advises a decrease in the undergrad population at St. George campus, to improve student-to-professor ratios, and growth at UTM and UTSC.

“I’m very concerned,” said Jeff Peters, VP External of APUS and a student governor on Governing Council. “We all know there’s a correlation between the rising of tuition fees and declining numbers of marginalized students [who are unable to attend university].”

U of T spokesperson Rob Steiner said any increases will be gradual and benefit students in the end. “No one’s going to be making any kind of radical decision anytime soon about anything,” he said, suggesting higher tuition could go towards scholarships and bursaries. “We also need some flexibility on tuition to cover a bigger proportion of the cost here with the condition that it comes with at least the same, if not improved, access. And that’s possible.”

APUS staff member Oriel Varga is skeptical. “There’s a full constituency of the most marginalized students on campus that don’t access that financial aid, there’s a big hole in this area,” she said.

Also of concern to some is the “expansion of industry research partnerships,” which would see corporations working with faculty. U of T will be careful in these collaborations, reads Towards 2030, but Peters thinks otherwise. “I believe very strongly that research should be funded out of the public purse […] without corporate control. This limits academic freedom,” he said.

Towards 2030 goes to vote at Governing Council on Oct. 23 where it is sure to pass. After that, it awaits only approval from Ontario legislature.