As Canadians debate the 2009 budget released Tuesday, some provisions may provide assistance to student job-seekers and university infrastructure.

A $12 billion allotment goes to university infrastructure, part of an $85-billion five-year stimulus package. “Accelerating repairs, maintenance and construction at universities and colleges will provide substantial stimulus in communities across Canada,” reads the online budget summary. Schools can definitely use the cash: the Canadian Association of University Business Officers estimates a collective deferred maintenance backlog of $5 billion for Canadian universities.

The budget also promises to improve summer job prospects by funding the Canada Summer Jobs program with $20 million over two years. An additional one-time $15 million grant will go to the YMCA and YWCA to provide new internships. Short-term funds for Canada Graduate Scholarships will see another $87 million, and science and business internships, $3.5 million.

“We are pleased that the government has not forgotten post-secondary education when planning for infrastructure spending across the country,” said Trevor Mayoh, president of the Ontario Undergraduate Student Alliance. “However, if the government of Canada truly wants to create the ‘jobs of tomorrow’ then serious stimulus monies must be committed to enhance access to and persistence in higher education.”

OUSA has several recommendations for investing in postsecondary education, such as increasing up-front grants to students, extending the non-repayment period for Canada Student Loans from the current six months to 12 months, and making the period interest free.