UTM is yet to begin construction on a daycare facility that was due to open this month, leaving student parents with a temporary, unlicensed service.

According to Saaliha Malik, VP equity of the UTM Student Union, the opening has been rescheduled several times since September 2007. It was most recently scheduled for February 2009, but in a Jan. 12 email to students, the administration said that they had been overly optimistic with their timeline.

“We’ve built a residence building, a library, and a gym in the last three years, but we can’t build a daycare centre,” said Malik.

Construction of the centre was delayed because the university was unable to obtain a city permit until Jan. 23 of this year. Construction plans have now been approved, but students are still waiting for the university to announce a new timeline.

UTM dean of Student Affairs Mark Overton said, “We can’t commit to an opening date yet but are working with the project’s architects, engineers, and contractors, along with the operator, to finalize one. It will be shared widely as soon as it is available.”

For now, parents have to rely on either off-campus services or the temporary child-minding centre at UTM. Malik claims this facility is not a substitute. “This is not a licensed facility, it was only a temporary service that should have only lasted four months.” She added that the centre has limited space and can only take in five children at a time.

She said student parents are concerned that their numbers are too small for the university to care about them. There are currently 30 students waitlisted for services at the new facility.

Parent students are also taking issue with proposed increases in the price of services. “Many parents can’t afford the new proposed rates. They are probably going to look for something off campus in the Peel region which is cheaper,” said Malik.

The temporary childminding centre costs parents $5 per hour with a maximum limit of $40 per day. The hourly rate will no longer be available at the new centre. Full-time students would pay approximately $49 to $75 a day. Part-time students would receive lower rates than full-time students, but they too would see their overall charges increased.

According to Overton, the matter is out of UTM’s hands. Rates are fixed by the daycare operator, U of T’s Early Learning Center.

Malik argues that the administration could have hired a less expensive operator from the Peel region.

Parents can appeal to Peel authorities for child care subsidies, and those who do not qualify may apply for funds from the university. UTMSU is creating a $5,000 bursary to help parents in need and is also looking into other ways to offer support.