While most of the world has returned to normal following Barack Obama’s historic victory, little seems to have changed in Washington D.C. Residents sporting Obama sweaters, hats, scarves, and pins en masse are only the beginning. Downtown souvenir shops burst at the seams with special edition Obama mugs, pens, peppermints, posters, chocolate bars, “Dress the First Family” books, “I love Michelle” t-shirts, and White House toilet paper. In bookstores, the president’s autobiographies are prominently placed in special section. A cardboard version of the man himself stands nearby, making for the ultimate tourist Kodak moment. Blinded by the multiple hanging Obama rugs and rows of presidential bobble-heads, one barely even notices the “Don’t blame me, I voted McCain/Palin” refrigerator magnets in the corner. In the words of one downtown vendor, these “are not very popular items, to say the least.”

As the epicentre of American politics and the site of the 44th Presidential Inauguration, the city naturally has reason to continue the buzz in the spirit of the recent events. “This was a milestone in American history,” says one D.C. resident who witnessed the January inauguration from the National Mall, a two-mile stretch of land running from the Capitol to the Washington monument. Even residents who did not vote for Obama describe the atmosphere in a similar way, with one woman comparing the mood to a “collective high.”

For Washington D.C.’s African-American community, a group that makes up over half of the city’s population, the event was especially momentous. “It’s normal to make him into a celebrity. He’s the first Black [president],” said an Atlanta-bound passenger who immigrated to the United States from Ghana. “[The hype] is all about race.”

“It was like Christmas-time,” adds Maurice Harcum, manager of Ben’s Chili restaurant, describing the mood in the city during inauguration week. “My fellow Washingtonians, they’re not the friendliest people. But people were talking on the subway, and there was love and joy and sharing,” he further explains.

A city institution in itself, Ben’s Chili has witnessed the struggle for civil rights and substantial transformations in American society in its 50 years of existence. Having been a favourite hangout of Nat King Cole and Miles Davis, the restaurant was also the scene of violent rioting following Martin Luther King’s assassination in 1968, which destroyed much of the surrounding area. Today, not only is the restaurant considered an historic landmark, it was also recently graced with a visit from then President-elect Obama and Washington mayor Adrien Fenty. Harcum, clearly moved by the experience, explained that he had had tickets to the inauguration but did not feel the need to go after the surprise visit. When asked if Obama was a pleasant customer, Harcum answered: “He insisted on paying.”

Clearly, the overall mood among the city’s residents reflects a positive attitude towards the change in government. Though some support Obama more than others and many are uncomfortable with the level of idolatry established by the souvenir industry, most Washingtonians seem especially relieved that the previous government is no longer in power. “Bush managed to turn off all sides,” states governmental lawyer Bernie Weberman. “It’s nice to have someone who is intelligent, who knows how to do things. It’s good not to have a moron.” Even the American Federation of Government Employees takes no discretion in declaring its enthusiasm for the change by adorning municipal buses with the slogan: “Good Government. We’re Ready!”

Happy or not, residents all seem to concur that Obama is a breath of fresh air, despite the hardships he faces. And though many Washingtonians are hesitant to put all of their faith into their new president, the city still appears rather enthusiastic towards the newest addition to their population. Perhaps Ikea’s star-spangled posters, which hang in the Washington Metro, sum up best the meeting of crass commercialism and genuine hope: “Bring a sense of order back to this country! (Start with a new PAX Wardrobe.)”