1) Chris Paul

New Orleans Hornets

Age: 24

Currently hailed by many as the game’s greatest point guard, Paul tops this list for the impact he’s had on both ends of the floor. He is in good shape for his third assists and steals crown this year.

2) Dwight Howard

Orlando Magic

Age: 24

Howard’s defensive dominance carried the Magic to the finals last year, and he’s hoping to do the same this year. The league’s top shot blocker and rebounder is held back by only his limited offensive game.

3) Kevin Durant

Oklahoma City Thunder

Age: 21

The lanky forward has made great strides since his NBA debut in 2007 and is now the third leading scorer in the NBA. Durant’s development defensively has enabled the Thunder to start competing for a playoff spot this year. Expect him in the all-star game for the next decade.

4) Monta Ellis

Golden State Warriors

Age: 24

The electric 6’3″ guard from Golden State exploded this year. Averaging 27 points per game, he is garnering some serious all-star attention despite his team’s record.

5) Rajon Rondo

Boston Celtics

Age: 23

With all of the injuries that Boston withstood this year, Rondo finally stepped into the spotlight. Boasting top-five assist and steal numbers in the NBA, this point guard may find himself in his first all star game this year.

6) Josh Smith

Atlanta Hawks

Age: 23

Smith is the youngest player ever to block 900 shots and now he has added a maturity to his game that has elevated the Hawks towards the top of the eastern ranks. He is also a past slam dunk champion.

7) Derrick Rose

Chicago Bulls

Age: 21

The reigning Rookie of the Year point guard has the Bulls in playoff contention as he averages 19 points and six assists per game. He started off the year slowly as an ankle injury hindered his elite athleticism, but has really come on since December.

8) Tyreke Evans

Sacramento Kings

Age: 20

This versatile guard can play three positions on either end. Evans is vying to become the fourth rookie in NBA history to average 20 points, five assists, and five rebounds. The other three: Oscar Robertson, Michael Jordan, and LeBron James.

9) Brook Lopez

New Jersey Nets

Age: 21

A second year star is one of the lone bright spots for the horrendous Nets. His strong offensive repertoire in the post is the point of emphasis within the Nets offence. He should make the leap to all-star next year.

10) Rudy Gay

Memphis Grizzlies

Age: 23

An elite athlete and an excellent scorer has propelled Memphis from cellar dweller to a legitimate playoff team. Memphis is trying to sign Gay to a long-term deal with free agency looming.

11) LaMarcus Aldridge

Portland Trailblazers

Age: 24

The sweet-shooting power forward has had a bit of a statistical down year, but considering the injuries plaguing the Blazers, Aldridge has performed extremely well to keep them within the playoff race.

12) Al Horford

Atlanta Hawks

Age: 23

Atlanta’s centre has been very consistent in his first three years since leaving Florida. Horford’s improved efficiency on offense and strong interior defence, have solidified the Hawks inside on both ends.

13) Marc Gasol

Memphis Grizzlies

Age: 24

A candidate for most improved player in the league, Gasol is finally establishing himself and stepping out from his brother Pau’s shadow. His 0.600 field goal percentage is near the top in the entire league.

14) Russell Westbrook

Oklahoma City Thunder

Age: 21

While his shooting is dreadful, Westbrook’s athleticism at the point guard position is difficult to match. The second-year guard has taken a step forward this year, increasing his assists to 7.5 per game.

15) Andrew Bynum

LA Lakers

Age: 22

Bynum’s ranking takes a hit because of his numerous injuries. Despite that, his rebounding, efficient scoring, and defence warrant him a spot on this list and in the Lakers starting line-up. He is also one of only two on this list to have a ring.

16) O.J Mayo

Memphis Grizzlies

Age: 22

Clearly the youth movement is paying off in Memphis as they have three players on this list and an over .500 record. Mayo gives the Grizz another silky perimeter scorer to complement Gay and Gasol.

17) Brandon Jennings

Milwaukee Bucks

Age: 20

Aside from the ridiculous 55 points he put up on the Golden State Warriors this year, Jennings has brought a flair and talent to the Bucks that they haven’t had in a long time. Despite his shooting woes, the league’s number-two rookie warrants a ranking here.

18) Kevin Love

Minnesota Timberwolves

Age: 21

Despite being a tad undersized and a smidge un-athletic, Love has developed into a premier rebounder particularly on the offensive end in only his second year in the league. He has added a nice jumper as well.

19) Joakim Noah

Chicago Bulls

Age: 24

Always an energy player, Noah made a huge jump this year increasing his rebounding numbers by five, placing him in the top three in the league in that category, and getting a spot here as one of the top young centres.

20) Andris Biedrins

Golden State Warriors

Age: 23

A rebounder and shot-blocker that has a career field goal percentage greater than his career free throw percentage, which speaks volumes to both numbers. Biedrins is another defensive centre who knows his role and performs well within it.

21) Luol Deng

Chicago Bulls

Age: 24

Deng’s length, athleticism, and defence are his primary attributes, but his solid midrange jumper and rebounding are definitely welcomed as well. At only 24, he is still one of the leaders of a solid Bulls squad.

22) Eric Gordon

LA Clippers

Age: 21

A great shooter and slasher, Gordon is a multi-talented scoring guard who makes up for his height with good length and strength. He is a bright spot for a Clippers franchise currently in flux.

23) Andrea Bargnani

Toronto Raptors

Age: 24

Quietly shaking off a bust label, Bargnani is emerging as a key piece of the Raptors future. While never to be confused with a banger, he has improved down low and found consistency with his shot.

24) Michael Beasley

Miami Heat

Age: 21

Beasley is the classic example of a youngster intent on scoring. While extremely talented offensively, his lackadaisical effort defensively has cost him big time fourth quarter minutes.

25) Jeff Green

Oklahoma City Thunder

Age: 23

Green edges Stephen Curry, Greg Oden, and others because of his versatility to play both forward spots and contribute to the young but talented Thunder. One of the only players on this list that can win a game knocking down a three or by blocking a shot.