School has just started, and already, your pile of work has grown exponentially. Books have to be read, crisp sheets of paper are filled with scribbles, and numbers have to be crunched. But wait! What is that in your hand slowly edging its way to your mouth? A candy bar? Crisps? Gasp! Much like Mr. Kurtz in Conrad’s Heart of Darkness, the words “The horror! The horror!” echo in my mind.

Some of you may be like me. I simply must eat when I am studying or doing any sort of schoolwork. There’s just something about studying that makes me peckish. Perhaps it’s my brain’s way of telling me it needs more energy for the task ahead. Whatever the reason, if you have not packed something to eat, finding delicious and healthy food on campus is easy thanks to a nifty new tool.

U of T’s Food Services at the St. George campus have come up with an interactive map that lets you find places on campus that serve whatever food you fancy. The map is available on their website at foodmap.utoronto.ca. There are 44 eateries around campus, and this new map allows you to narrow down your options. There are search options like Eat Smart locations, Flex Dollars accepted, full meal, halal, kosher, L.L.B.O., LFP certified, light fare, and vegan and vegetarian friendly. The map also conveniently shows places with microwaves and wireless. A list of food options on campus can also be found in the UTSU handbook under “Directories.”
For those who are interested in locally grown food, Food and Beverage Services also have a Sustainable Food Map and directory showing “eateries and grocery stores that offer organic, local, LFP-certified and fair trade foods.”

There’s also a Farmer’s Market that I like to visit every Thursday from 2–5 p.m. at Willcocks Common (Willcocks and St. George beside Sidney Smith Hall). Why not skip the food truck and pay a visit to the Farmer’s Market? Here, not only can you find fresh fruits and vegetables, but also cheese, honey, maple syrup, baked goods, jams, waffles, meals, and snacks. Going to the Farmer’s Market is great because, for a change, you get to chat and meet the people who grow and make the food and learn about sustainable practices.

University of Toronto has many great eateries to suit everyone’s tastes, whether it be a plain old sandwich or a warm and hearty vegan soup. So try and check out new places to eat, and don’t get bored by having the same old thing.