Nirojan Kaneswaralingam, a U of T grad, passed away last Friday after losing control of his car and hitting a street pole that fell and crushed him inside.

The accident occurred around 2:48 am on Cottrelle Boulevard as Kaneswaralingam was heading westbound, according to Peel Regional Police. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Born on August 17, 1987, Kaneswaralingam graduated from the University of Toronto’s St. George campus with a bachelor`s degree in life sciences. He was studying to become a Registered Nurse at York University prior to the accident.

“I’m in disbelief. I still feel like my best friend is going to call me every time the phone goes off. I haven’t accepted that he’s gone,” said Saher Chishti.

“[It’s] tragic and unnecessary. U of T and the world [have] lost a great person,” said Vishal Pua, another close friend of Kaneswaralingam’s.

As an executive member of the Tamil Students’ Association (TSA) and dance coordinator of the Phoenix dance team, Kaneswaralingam left a lasting impression on many who knew him during his undergraduate years.

“He wanted the best for everyone and wanted to make his parents proud,” Chishti said.
Kaneswaralingam also served as president of the South Asian Alliance (SAA) at the St. George campus.

Lester Fernandes, who was president of the SAA at U of T’s Scarborough campus during Kaneswaralingam’s term, said he had not kept in touch with Kaneswaralingam but was “shocked” at the news of his friend’s death.

Fernandes added that in business matters, Kaneswaralingam always strove to strike an amicable compromise with his peers.

“He was always smiling and brought positive energy with him wherever he went,” Fernandes said. “Niro was a great leader and an awesome friend.”