Former Deputy Minister of Education and current University of Toronto professor Benjamin Levin was granted bail today.

The bail, which amounts to 100,000 dollars, will be split between his two brothers and is contingent on a number of conditions – including that he not possess a passport, return to live with his wife, have limited internet access, and have no contact with children.

Levin was arrested Monday by police and now faces a total of seven charges.

On top of two counts of distributing child pornography – and one count each of making child pornography – counselling to commit an indictable offence, and agreeing to or arranging for a sexual offence against a child under 16, Levin was charged today with  possessing and accessing child pornography.

The investigation has spanned the globe, with Toronto Police thanking police from New Zealand and London, Ontario on Monday for their participation in the investigation, which has been ongoing for several months.

Levin is the Canada research chair in Education Leadership and Policy at the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE). He has taught at  U of T since 2005.

Under the leadership of Dalton McGuinty, he served as deputy minister of education from 2004-2007 and 2008-2009.

He also served as Manitoba’s deputy minister of education, training and youth, and deputy minister of advanced education between 1999 and 2002.

In addition, Levin was named a member of Kathleen Wynne’s transitional team in January 2013.

Levin studied at the University of Manitoba, Harvard University, and finally, at the University of Toronto. He also holds an honorary doctorate from the University of Ottawa.

He has published eight books – three in the last year – and over 300 articles on education.

Levin’s case is expected to return to court on August 8.