The University of Toronto Students’ Union (UTSU) held a policy town hall October 15. Fewer than 15 students attended the event, which intended to draw students who are “curious about the bylaws and policies that govern your students’ union,” according to the advertisements posted around campus.

“This was our elections campaign promise: more student empowerment,” said Munib Sajjad, president of the UTSU. Sajjad and Cameron Wathey, vice-president internal, gave a presentation outlining the UTSU’s structure, mandate, and decision-making procedures before students were invited to anonymously submit questions. Adam Awad, former UTSU president and Canadian Federation of Students national chairperson, acted as facilitator and answered a number of general policy-related questions. Wathey explained the difference between bylaws, policies, and position statements, and how each are passed: “Any member can submit a bylaw amendment or proposal for consideration,” he said. “For us to really analyze your bylaw, the best way to do it is to include as much information in the proposal as possible, yet be very concise and to the point.”

The proposal or amendment must first be reviewed by the policies and procedures committee, then approved by 75 per cent of the board of directors — a percentage that some students at the town hall said is too high — before it is introduced at the annual general meeting.

The deadline to submit motions for thr Annual General Meeting (AGM) to the vice-president, internal, is October 21 at 11:59 pm.

Topics of discussion included UTSU’s position on removing Turnitin from Blackboard, gender parity among speakers at union meetings, and the running and funding of work-study programs. The UTSU’s AGM will be held on November 27.