Last week, Ripley’s Aquarium opened in the heart of downtown Toronto. Since its grand opening, the aquarium has overflowed with excited visitors ready to explore the great depths. Visitors to the aquarium will be delightfully surprised by the various species and enormous tanks full of marine life.

The building is quite a statement; the architecture is well-thought out and creatively designed. The flight of stairs leading up to the aquarium also has large screens with promotional videos. The 12,500 square-metre structure boasts several exhibits — including Canadian Waters, Rainbow Reef, and Planet Jellies.

PHOTO COURTESY OF RIPLEY'S AQUARIUM

PHOTO COURTESY OF RIPLEY’S AQUARIUM

The touch tanks, located near the entrance, allow visitors to interact with many animals such as the Atlantic stingrays and whitespotted bamboo sharks. In the Ray Bay, divers enter the tank and feed the stingrays during frequent live shows. The stingrays have their barbs
removed — a harmless procedure, for their own safety and that of the divers. The divers are willing to speak to the public after their shows; one diver discussed her studies in Marine Biology and her seven years diving in countries as far away as Thailand.

The largest and most impressive exhibit, at nearly 2.5 million litres, is the Dangerous Lagoon. It features a moving sidewalk that metaphorically journeys through the ocean.The exhibit contains green sea turtles, sand tiger sharks, and more. The shark exhibit is very informative about both the beauty of the creatures and the scientific efforts that ensure that they  thrive. The aquarium has a total of 5.7 million litres of water, in which over 15,000 marine animals live.

There are separate sections that cater to different interests. For those interested in sustainability, the aquarium has several areas dedicated to conservation and takes significant effort to maintain a sustainable environment. The Discovery Centre is great for budding marine biologists and offers interactive games like the horseshoe crab touching pool. The aquarium offers educational programming, and there are plans to expand its research initiatives and day camps. Ever dreamt of sleeping among sharks? There is a sleepover program that allows visitors to sleep in the Dangerous Lagoon after a day full of activities. The aquarium also hosts birthday parties and events, but is already booked up until January.

PHOTO COURTESY OF RIPLEY'S AQUARIUM

PHOTO COURTESY OF RIPLEY’S AQUARIUM

The price of a visit to the aquarium is slightly higher than the Toronto Zoo, at $33.88 a ticket, but the experience is truly worth it. If you are looking to get a behind-the-scenes-tour of the animal husbandry areas, you’ll have to pay an additional fee. Looking to save a couple bucks? Round up a group of 15 friends  and qualify for a group rate. On a mid-week evening, the aquarium was surprisingly crowded.  It is truly a breath of fresh air ­­— or perhaps a cool drink of  water ­— from the bustle of city life. The soft music, relaxed atmosphere, and beauty of life on display are calming  — imparting a  state of tranquility. Visiting the aquarium is recommended to those interested in the field of marine biology and students who are simply seeking a breather between midterms and assignments.