In the last half century, Canada has come a long way regarding LGBTQ issues. In 1967, the Supreme Court of Canada imprisoned a man for being a ‘dangerous sexual offender’ due to his sexual orientation. Almost 50 years later, homosexual activity has since not only become decriminalized, but it has gained legal acceptance. Closer to campus, the Ontario Court of Appeal has legally allowed same-sex marriages since 2003.

Legal acceptance, however, is only a first step. The battle for tolerance is still being waged, and today, many, including Varsity Blues athletes Mckinnley Morris and Angeline Bellehumeur, are working hard to alter perspectives, foster positive attitudes, and create safe environments.

On campus, Morris and Bellehumeur have taken charge of the Athlete Ally initiative, which aims to “provide an environment free of exclusion for all student athletes.”

One of Athlete Ally’s major events is the U of T Athlete Ally Week, which begun last year by the Faculty of Kinesiology and Physical Education.

The week aims to address ignorance within our university community and build awareness about challenges faced by the LGBTQ students.

During the week, athletes go about their daily lives in class, at practice, and on campus adorned with decals which symbolically express their support. This year, the week closed with a basketball doubleheader against Ryerson.

The importance of this initiative, now in its second year, has been recognized and supported in the Toronto community as well, receiving support from organizations such as Outsport Toronto. This year, the movement has adopted new strategies including a poster exhibit at the Athletic Centre’s Benson Student Lounge on February 1.