Jays secure AL East title and become ALDS champions

On October 14 the Toronto Blue Jays defeated the Texas Rangers in game five action — becoming the American League East (AL East) champions for the first time since 1993. The American League Division Series (ALDS) between the Toronto Blue Jays and Texas Rangers began on October 8 in Toronto. The Rangers stole game one and two, despite which spirits in Toronto remained high. The Jays rallied and in a huge turn of events, won game three and four — forcing a fifth game in which the winner took all. Game five started slow for the Jays, but everything changed in the seventh inning. The Rangers scored on a throwing error that was called under review — the umpires rewarded the Rangers with the run. At which point the Rogers Centre, packed with Jays fans, went wild. When the game resumed Jose Bautista hit one of the most significant home runs of his life, which after a nonchalant bat flip, allowed Pillar, Goins, and Donaldson to score — putting the Jays in the lead. The Jays defeated the Texas Rangers 6-3 in Game five to thunderous applause by Rogers Centre fans who rushed onto the field post game to celebrate with the team. The next stop for the Jays will be Monday October 19 when they take on the Kansas City Royals at home in game three of ALCS action.

Leafs win first game of regular season

The Toronto Maple Leafs secured their first win of the regular season on October 16, defeating the Columbus Blue Jackets 6-3. The game was also the first win for head coach Mike Babcock, who joined the team earlier this year. Jake Gardiner opened the scoring for the Leafs in the second period, a goal that was quickly followed by two more from James van Riemsdyk and Nazem Kadri. All three goals occurred within the first nine minutes of the period. The third period saw a goal by Joffrey Lupul followed by a double by Leo Komarov. Leafs center Tyler Bozak was forced off the ice in the period with a lower body injury. Veteran goalie James Reimer made 24 saves during the game, giving Leafs fans everywhere hope, after the team lost their first three games of the season. The Leafs will face off against the Buffalo Sabres this Wednesday on the road.

Toronto FC clinches first playoff spot

The Toronto Football Club (TFC) defeated the New York Red Bulls with a score of 2-1 at the BMO field on October 14, clinching a MLS playoff spot for the first time in franchise history. A win nine years in the making, it was a big day for TFC fans who cloaked BMO field in a sea of red. In the second half, Herculez Gomez and Sebastian Giovinco scored two beautiful goals for TFC. Similar to the unprecedented success of the Jays, the TFC was aided by the addition of two new players to its roster, Michael Bradley and Sebastian Giovinco. The pair have undoubtedly bolstered the team’s success. Giovinco, who had flown back to Toronto from Rome just hours earlier, returning after playing a qualifying match for Italy, brought the crowd to its feet with a goal during the last 20 minutes of the game. On his way to the net, Giovinco weaved through multiple Bulls defenders and fired the ball into the back of the net. Dubbed “a beautiful effort” by head coach Greg Vanney, the TFC conclude their regular season play when they face off against the Montreal Impact on October 25.