Who said that classical music is dead? The works of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, or Haydn may no longer be popular, but the genre is far from declining.

Instead, classical music is getting a ‘musical renovation,’ if you will, thanks to the increasing popularity of contemporary classical music. This week, U of T’s Music Faculty will be hosting the New Music Festival in order to showcase contemporary classical music.

Featuring works by Allan Gordon Bell, the festival includes performances by U of T major ensembles; Land’s End Ensemble, Gryphon Trio, and the Cecilia String Quartet. The festival, which runs until February 7, boasts over 13 events to be held at various locations in the city. Here are a few to check out:

Monday February 1

Gryphon Trio ($40, $25, $10 student)

Who better to perform composer Bell’s music than Bell’s students themselves? It will be interesting to hear how these students have interpreted the works of their teacher.

Other works on the set list for the evening include “Candle Ice” by Carmen Braden, “Lunar Reflections” by Heather Schmidt, and “In a World of Distance and Motion” by Kelly Marie Murphy.

Tuesday February 2

Land’s End Ensemble (free)

Students have the chance to meet Allan Gordon Bell in a composers’ forum held at Walter Hall. Later that day, Land’s End Ensemble will perform Bell’s Juno winning work “Field Notes.”

Thursday February 4

Thursdays at 12:10 (free)

Looking to hear our on-campus talent? The Music Faculty’s Thursdays at Noon event, is one in which music written by U of T composition students will be featured. Domenic Jarlkaganova’s collaborative piece with Angela Blumberg, and works by alumnus Paul Levasseur will both be featured at the event.