The University of Toronto Mississauga Students’ Union (UTMSU) has filled the vacancy created after the departure of the union’s Executive Director.

Munib Sajjad, who had served as University of Toronto Students’ Union (UTSU) President in the 2013-2014 year, was hired as the UTMSU’s new Executive Director on August 18.

Prior to his hiring as Executive Director, he had filled a similar position in the union called the Executive Coordinator since July 11.

According to the job description, the Executive Coordinator was a part-time position with duties that were identical to those of the Executive Director, with the exception of financial responsibilities. UTMSU President Nour Alideeb told The Varsity that the union has since discontinued the Executive Coordinator position.

Alideeb did not participate in either the Executive Coordinator Hiring Committee or the Executive Director Hiring Committee after having recused herself to avoid a conflict of interest.

Last year, Sajjad served as the Vice-President, Internal, for the Association of Part-Time Undergraduate Students and the Scarborough Campus Students’ Union before leaving both roles.

Sajjad replaces Walied Khogali, who had had been heavily involved in student unions for nearly a decade. Khogali was on the executive of the Students’ Administrative Council — now commonly called the UTSU — and later as chair of the UTMSU before becoming the union’s Executive director.

Sajjad could not be reached for comment.

When asked about the UTMSU’s recent shifts in staff, Alideeb said that she hopes these changes will improve the union’s service delivery and advocacy efforts.

“We hope to better accommodate our students needs. We want to better serve our members, clubs, and academic societies, so whatever changes we make will reflect the commitment of better advocacy and services that will benefit our members.”

Editor’s note: A previous version of this article stated that Munib Sajjad was formerly the Executive Director for the Association of Part-Time Undergraduate Students (APUS). In fact, Sajjad was the Vice-President, Internal for APUS.