Finding tasty, affordable food options can be a struggle, especially when trying to squeeze healthy meals into a hectic university schedule. Here’s a handy list of places on and around the St. George campus to suit your hungry student needs.

Salad Days

20 Bloor Street East

It is especially difficult to find fresh and affordable fruit and vegetable options near campus. Salad Days is a little bit far from campus, but they offer a daily special for $6.45 that includes chicken breast, mashed sweet potato, and a fresh salad, made on the spot. The menu features a variety of salads, most of which come in a small size for under $5, from salad niçoise to cobb and caprese.

Allen’s Table at Hillel

36 Harbord Street

For those looking for a healthy and kosher-friendly option, check out Allen’s Table at Hillel U of T’s Wolfond Center. Monday through Thursday from 5:00–7:00 pm, you can enjoy a full family style dinner for $5. Menu options rotate each week and include schnitzels, bourekas, lasagna, and salads.

El Furniture Warehouse

410 Bloor Street West

This dive bar eatery is a favourite among students for its delicious food, drinks, and extremely low prices. Every food item on the menu is priced at $4.95, with items including burgers, perogies, and salad bowls.

Fresca Pizza & Pasta

302 College Street West

Fresca may be a bit of a walk, but their pizza slices are worth the trek. Two slices of pizza come out to just $3.50, and they have a garlic parsley sauce that can be poured over your slice for maximum flavour.

Seven Lives

69 Kensington Avenue

If you like fish, tacos, and cheap food, you’ll love Seven Lives — a quaint taqueria in Kensington Market. Simple fish tacos go for just $5, but if you want to treat yourself, go for the poke bowl, which is served with hot chips and a heap of guacamole for $10. If you’re looking for a quick snack or a meal, Seven Lives is an excellent choice.

Newman Centre

89 St. George Street

Conveniently located just across from Robarts, the Newman Centre offers $3 soup and bagel lunches every Tuesday of the school year. All are welcome, and from 1:00–2:30 pm, the centre is open and ready to serve.

Hart House’s 5-Buck Lunches

7 Hart House Circle

This option is perfect if you’re interested in food that tastes a bit more like home cooking than what your residence cafeteria has been offering. In collaboration with HealthyU, Hart House works with various campus groups to put on $5 lunches for students on the last Tuesday of every month, featuring dishes such as lemon oregano chicken and beef bourguignon. A perk of these lunches is that you can access their recipes online or at the servery, perfect for showing off at the next potluck you’re invited to.