With Boston Red Sox pitcher Chris Sale on the mound against the Toronto Blue Jays, this year’s edition of Canada Day was not a favourable match-up for Canada’s team at the Rogers Centre. However, despite a 7–1 loss and some rain, it was the Fourth of July uniforms donned by the Red Sox players that really dampened the mood.

Canada’s 150th anniversary festivities on Canada Day included a pre-game ceremony honouring military service members and veterans, rolling out a massive Canadian flag that covered the entire outfield, and a nationally broadcast “Canada 150 National Anthem Singalong.” Whilst the Blue Jays wore their red and white ‘Canadiana’ uniforms, the Red Sox jerseys paid no tribute to the surrounding celebrations, instead  paying tribute to American Independence Day. 

In contrast, on Canada Day in 2015 and 2016, the Red Sox and the Cleveland Indians visited the Rogers Centre respectively and wore Canada flag patches on their sleeves. As of April 2017, the MLB implemented changes to their special event uniform policy, stipulating that teams are to wear special uniforms for all games played on event weekends, a list that notably excluded Canada Day.

As Canada Day fell on a Saturday and Independence Day on the following Tuesday, the weekend for both the Canadian and American holidays overlapped. 

Surrounded by Blue Jays players and fans wearing red jerseys and Canada hats, it seemed like an odd choice for the Red Sox to celebrate Independence Day on Canada Day. While the measure was in accordance with the new MLB recommendations, it raises questions about how the league should implement holidays in this bi-national league.

In response to the Canadian flag patches that American opponents wore on July 1 in 2015 and 2016, the Blue Jays had added American flag patches to their uniforms on July 4 in both years. The patches were included on the Blue Jays uniforms once again this year as a sign of acknowledgment for the American holiday.

The use of a nationalistic appeal to market America’s favourite pastime is clever, but overlooking the possible detriment of this same appeal in Canada may have undesirable effects. The MLB seems content to neglect a Canadian fan base which ranks third in overall league attendance this year and flocks to other parks as well. While Baseball may be America’s favourite pastime, the sport is thriving in Canada, and Canada Day 2017 was a missed opportunity for promoting the sport up north.