On the evening on Wednesday, September 27, members of the Communist Party of Canada (Marxist-Leninist) and the Korean Federation of Canada held a rally on the corner of Harbord Street and St. George Street to protest what they viewed as American war preparations and aggression against North Korea.

In a pamphlet distributed to passers by, the groups denounced United Nations Security Council Resolution 2375, which imposed sanctions on North Korea due to its active nuclear weapons program. The two organizations called the United States the “aggressor” in the region and the “most dangerous imperialist force in the history of the world.” They also claimed that North Korea has “sought a peaceful and diplomatic solution to the political crisis.”

The statement also called out the “warmongers in the Trudeau Liberal government,” calling recent assertions from the Prime Minister “a provocation and an act of aggression against the DPRK [Democratic People’s Republic of Korea].”

The Wednesday picket is the first in a series of eight weekly rallies, slated to end November 15. Events are planned across major locations in Toronto, including Ryerson University, George Brown College, Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland’s constituency office, and the US Consulate.

The Varsity has reached out to the Korean Federation of Canada for comment.