The TTC’s board unanimously agreed to set the price of a U-Pass at $280 per semester today, March 20.

Soon, students will have the opportunity to vote on the fee increase required to pay for the pass, which would offer unlimited use of the TTC during school sessions. The U-Pass offer is being put to full-time undergraduate students at UTSG, and to students at Ryerson University, George Brown College, and OCAD University.

The U-Pass would be significantly cheaper than the TTC’s current undergraduate student pass, priced at $116.75 per month. That being said, students will not be able to opt out of the U-Pass fee, should it pass. Exceptions will include students “whose personal circumstances or needs related to a protected ground under the Ontario Human Rights Code restrict their ability to utilize transit.”

U of T student Anne Boucher, alongside student representatives from Ryerson University, motivated in favour of the price at the board meeting held this afternoon. Boucher, in her capacity as Vice President External at the University of Toronto Students’ Union, was one of the advocates behind the U-Pass initiative.

Full-time UTSG students will vote on the implementation of the U-Pass during a referendum scheduled for March 26–28 at utsu.simplyvoting.com.

Read more about the U-Pass here.