A number of U of T students will no longer be required to write in-person exams for the winter session, including students from the Faculty of Arts & Science, John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape, and Design, UTM, and UTSC. Undergraduates from the Faculty of Applied Sciences & Engineering and course-based Master’s of Engineering students will also not have to write in-person exams.

These announcements were made in a message from the Dean of the Faculty of Arts & Sciences Melanie Woodin, a message from the Dean of the Faculty of Applied Sciences & Engineering Christopher Yip, a tweet from the UTM Registrar, and a message from the Dean of UTSC William A. Gough.

The John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape, and Design announced on its website that it has already moved classes online and would be following suit with its exams, reviews, and finals. This is despite the fact that the university has yet to make a decision on how professional programs will move forward.

Woodin wrote that “many A&S undergraduate students are faced with difficult decisions regarding whether to return home, given the increasing challenges with international travel.” As such, the faculty decided that students should not be required to return to campus. These sentiments were mirrored in the statements released by the Faculty of Applied Sciences & Engineering, the John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape, and Design, and UTSC.

More information on course completion and exam administration will be released shortly.

This announcement comes on the heels of a slew of different measures implemented by the university to slow the rate of transmission of COVID-19. Recently, the university cancelled most in-person classes, closed a number of campus buildings, extended the Credit/No Credit and course withdrawal date, and halted all international activity.

The Varsity has reached out to the university for comment.

This story is developing, more to come.