Listen, I’d tell you all about germs, but I don’t want to spread it around. Instead, I’ll tell you about picking up hygienic habits and getting rid of those nasty ones that no one really admits to doing. 

Pre-pandemic

According to an article published just last year, 49 per cent of people in countries with high access to handwashing facilities didn’t wash their hands with soap after potential contact “with fecal matter.” They really just went to the bathroom, did their business, and left. On top of that, some restaurant workers, including cooks, touched the food you ordered without washing their hands.

Cue the shocked gasps and gaggings — it’s disgusting, right?

Now, let’s all give props to those who actually tried washing their hands — emphasis on “tried.” Why do I say “tried”? Because grown adults really don’t know how to properly perform the simple task of handwashing. Honestly, everyone is probably guilty of this one at some point in their life. 

According to a study from Michigan State University, 95 per cent of people who used the bathroom did not wash their hands long enough to kill harmful bacteria. More specifically, 78 per cent of women used soap, whereas only 50 per cent of men did. Seriously guys? 

To make matters worse, the same study found that 15 per cent of men and seven per cent of women failed to wash their hands entirely. To any germaphobes reading this, you must be feeling deeply disturbed — my apologies.

During the pandemic

Then, enter COVID-19, which caused everyone to become more and more stringent about their hygienic habits. People have begun and are continuing to correctly wash their hands, use alcohol-based hand sanitizer, and wear masks. Finally! It took long enough.

One of the best ways to combat and prevent yourself from getting the virus is to simply wash your hands. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) takes you through a thorough step-by-step handwashing process.

Most importantly, you need to apply soap to your hands and scrub them together for a minimum of 20 seconds. The secret to knowing how long you should be doing this is to sing the “Happy Birthday” song twice. Maybe don’t sing it too loud, though; people might look at you funny.

Since no one has access to a sink and soap at every waking moment of their life, many people use alcohol-based hand sanitizers as a substitute. Although hand sanitizers can work, they are trickier to use and not as effective as washing your hands. There needs to be the right amount of alcohol to kill more harmful germs. But, be very careful with the ones you buy; some may contain toxic ingredients.

The CDC states that there needs to be at least 60 per cent alcohol in the hand sanitizer for it to work and kill bacteria. However, if your hands are soiled, visibly greasy and dirty, or covered in chemicals, wash your hands with soap and water instead. Just remember that whenever possible, wash your hands rather than use alcohol-based hand sanitizer.

Wearing a mask is also absolutely critical. It doesn’t matter if you find them annoying and ugly or have a face full of makeup. There are no buts. Masks function as a barrier to protect people from getting infected, especially in a crowded public area.

We see a lot more people wearing masks now, but not everyone wears it correctly. John Hopkins Medicine advises that the area from your nose bridge to under your chin should all be covered securely with a mask without irritating you.

Before you ask, neck gaiters and bandanas aren’t as effective; these don’t have the double layer that a correct face mask has in order to prevent the spread of the virus. Every time you go out, get in the habit of wearing proper face protection because your health is far more important than your makeup or annoyance. You can even rock a look with your mask!

Post-pandemic

When COVID-19 vaccines are created, and the virus eventually recedes, everyone will be ecstatic. That day is unforeseen, however, as no one really knows when there will be a solution for the pandemic. 

But when our post-pandemic future does occur, will we be able to stick with our hygienic habits? The answer must be a firm yes.

The virus might be lurking in the dark, waiting to pounce, and if it does come back, we need to be prepared. Everyone needs to be frequently washing their hands as well as performing other sanitary routines.

Make sure you carry on with those positive habits of yours — the ones you acquired during the pandemic — because no one wants to catch the virus.

Editor’s note (November 3, 2020): This article has been updated to correct the percentage of people with high access to handwashing facilities who didn’t wash their hands from 51 per cent to 49 per cent.