The University of Toronto’s Student Newspaper Since 1880

Stray bullet hits window of U of T Student Family Housing residence

University reaches out to students two days after incident
The Childcare Centre on Charles Street West. JULIA MALOWANY/THE VARSITY

In the early morning of April 10, an unknown person fired shots on Charles Street West and a stray bullet hit the window of a Student Family Housing residence at 35 Charles Street West. According to the university, no one was injured and Toronto Police Services (TPS) is conducting a thorough investigation into the incident.​​

The U of T spokesperson added that the university has offered support and resources to those directly affected through the Community Safety Office. They wrote that Student Family Housing also sent information on further resources, including Campus Safety and My SSP, to the residents of 35 and 30 Charles Street West, a neighbouring Student Family Housing residence.

However, Ambika Tenneti, a U of T forestry PhD student, noted in a tweet and then an email to The Varsity that the university had failed to reach out to affected students in the immediate aftermath of the event. Though shots were fired on April 10, the university first reached out on the morning of April 12, and then sent another email in the evening with a few more details. 

“There was a lot of discussion in the Student Family Housing [Facebook] group and we just wanted answers,” Tenneti wrote. “It would have helped residents had they been informed earlier.”

In an email to The Varsity, a U of T spokesperson said that Student Family Housing continues to work with Campus Safety and TPS, and that it will provide the community with updates as they become available. They concluded that anyone with information on the incident should report it to Campus Safety, Toronto Police, or Crime Stoppers.