We are almost at the end of 2022, and the food industry is continuing to change. Most of the world has moved into a post pandemic state, with little to no lockdowns or mandatory closures. Although this is great news for the hospitality industry as they are now able to freely serve customers and welcome people back into their establishments, it is evident that the delivery services industry has continued to prosper. Find more about the mealkitsdelivery.ca delivery services

Canada as a whole has seen an overall shift in how consumers plan and where they purchase their weekly meals. Prior to the rolling lockdowns occurring in all provinces, dining out, weekly trips to the grocery stores or last minute takeout meals were part of the weekly routine for many people. Once the lockdowns occurred and there were no more dining out options and grocery stores became the most busy place to visit in the middle of the pandemic, customers were in need of some kind of service that required minimum human interaction. This is where the increase of meal kit delivery brand customers grew.

In several cities, especially those that are highly populated like Ottawa and Montreal, most of the public now has access to a variety of meal kit delivery service brands. After the pandemic, consumers were accustomed to having many of their services be driven from an online platform since not only restaurants were closed, but most stores or other retail locations in general. Online ordering platforms are common amongst meal kit delivery brands. For instance, larger organizations within the industry like HelloFresh and Goodfood offer their ordering process to be completed solely through their website. The platform is easy to use with each company’s menu beautifully photographed and displayed so consumers can go online each week to select the meals they would like to create at home. Meals are even broken down into categories for an easier and more efficient browsing experience. After selecting the preferred meals and number of servings, customers can look forward to having all the ingredients they need  and step-by-step instructions on how to cook their chosen meals at home, shipped straight to their doorstep. This convenience has made meal kits a great option for all consumers, especially those with busy lifestyles, or who are looking to cut down on the number of times they order last-minute takeout each week.

Another shift in the food industry that has been evident since the pandemic is that consumers are looking to support more local businesses. With the pandemic forcing so many small businesses to shut down, many people are even more passionate about trying to keep those that survived in business. One meal kit service brand that has capitalized on this is Cook It. Cook it states that in every single one of their meal kit delivery boxes shipped to their customers, there is at least 50% locally sourced ingredients. This, paired with the simplicity of their online ordering process and convenience of having all ingredients shipped direct to consumers has made them a popular brand within the meal kit delivery service industry.

The food industry in Canada continues to shift, and we are definitely seeing the effects that the almost 2 year long pandemic had on the Canadian population, specifically their weekly meal prep and consuming routine. Canadians have grown fond of easy to use platforms that require minimal travel and human interaction. Due to this, the meal kit delivery service industry has continued to experience growth, as most if not all companies within this industry offer users an online ordering platform. The simplicity of meal selection, then having all ingredients needed to make the meals shipped directly to consumer doorsteps saves consumers time and energy each week. Some of the smaller organizations within the meal kit delivery service industry are also capitalizing on the “support local” movement that has gained a lot of traction post pandemic. It is clear that meal kit delivery brands are now more common than ever within the Canadian food market, and there are no signs of that changing anytime soon.