Ontario College of Art and Design University students are fuming over a $180 mandatory art history textbook that contains no art. OCADU is attempting to make amends with art students who were assigned the textbook, which has white boxes in place of art, and directs readers to accompanying e-books. After more than 500 students signed an online petition protesting the textbook, OCADU decided to hold town hall meeting where students would be able to express their frustrations. The first of these meetings was held on Thursday by Kathryn Shailer, dean of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Since the first meeting, Shailer has committed to a buy-back agreement with the textbook publisher, Pearson Learning Solution. Shailer also promised students free print copies of the text with most of the missing images included. This quick action from the university is garnering a positive response from students and parents. Brent Ashley, the father of a new OCADU student, told the Toronto Star, ™as far as I’m concerned, this is a textbook example of how to respond to criticism. They’re stepping right up to it and coming up with real world solutions in a very short space of time.∫ OCADU has stated that the department will poll students before making any decisions about future texts.

With files from the Toronto Star.