On November 20, the Ontario Film Review Board (OFRB) censored another movie from the eyes and ears of Ontarians. The film in question, Fat Girl, a coming of age story about two adolescent females from acclaimed French director Catherine Breillat, has not been banned in British Columbia, Quebec, or even the usually conservative United Kingdom. But here in Ontario, OFRB chair Robert Warren stated, “The feeling was (the nudity) probably wasn’t necessary to get the point across.” Hence the OFRB has refused to rate the movie, thereby keeping it out of Ontario theatres.

The act of censorship is an act of arrogance by those who purport to protect the supposed ignorant masses from their own choices. In this province, a squad of five gives moral judgment to a community of more than 11 million; a mere three dissenting voices lights a flame that burns all films they wish to torch.

The OFRB, lead by Robert Warren would, of course, object. Indeed, their website makes this clear: “Today, the Board’s focus is classification, not censorship. The OFRB is a valued source of information about movies and videos that help viewers make the right entertainment decisions for themselves and their children.” However, actions speak louder than words. How else can the OFRB defend their decision not to allow this film to be shown in Ontario theatres? How can this be defended as not censorship? Their website states; “A film classification board helps consumers make informed choices about the films and videos they see.” How has the OFRB helped us make an informed decision? They haven’t, but what they have done is made a decision for us, without the consultation of Ontarians in any way shape or form, the very people they are supposed to help.

Censorship belittles the right of choice, it belittles our intelligence and it belittles democracy that an unelected few can make a decision affecting so many. Just as authors of books through the ages have explored thoughts and ideas, morals and ethics, sex and politics, so too do the very best of film and video. Directors, producers, writers and actors use this medium to explore their own stories, their own images, their own visions they wish to share with all who will make a decision to watch and listen. The evil of censorship is that it stops our ears and blinds our eyes to ideas which stimulate, which make life, life.

Give people information, then give people trust and belief that we are able to make decisions which will benefit us. Give us the benefit of the doubt. Fat Girl was shown two months ago at the Toronto International Film Festival (to rave reviews) and our society still seems to be functioning.

Our university is currently embroiled in its own issues involving repression of ideas and freedom of expression. Despite trouble in our own backyard, we, as future leaders of society—or so we are told—should be outraged at this latest act of arrogant moral protectionism put forth by the OFRB. Go to their website (www.ofrb.gov.on.ca) and voice your opinion.

As Edmund Burke said, “All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.”