6 December 1963

By Jim MacKenzie
Varsity News Editor

Plans for new $150,000,000 York campus were unveiled Wednesday. First of 12 colleges each of 1,000 students will be open by 1965. Enrolment by 1980 will equal present U of T figure. Campus will have “literally a million” trees, and natural lakes. Architecture will blend with divisions of knowledge, with area of science buildings joining arts in the humanities and social science building and library at the centre of campus.

The principles and design underlying the new York University campus will be a contrast to the University of Toronto in one basic respect: the students will be the yardstick for everything.

York Librarian T.F. O’Connor indicated that concern for students would be expressed in areas apart from architecture and landscaping alone.

Significantly, the first building to be ready for the 1965 opening will be an interim library. The permanent library, a high-rise structure at the centre of the campus will face as many problems as the U of T Library and more, Mr. O’Connell explained in an interview.

As well as collecting current publications, Mr. O’Connell has to face the problem of obtaining a simulation of the collection of printed knowledge a university such as Toronto has amassed in the past century.