Students will be asked to top up their tuition fees with a substantial levy for their new athletic centre at the University of Toronto at Mississauga (UTM), confirmed a town-hall meeting on Thursday.

After announcing possible fees on Monday, the UTM Centre for Physical Education (CPE) verified that they would be asking for a student levy of $150.

“We’re going to be part of something new and unique,” said Director of Development Diana Borowski. “We’ve looked at other campuses and past UTM building projects, and through discussions with hospitals and the municipality we know that by working together we have an opportunity to do this project.”

Student fees plus funding from the University Investment Infrastructure Fund doesn’t quite equal a full and complete athletic centre, but UTM is hoping to raise more money by tapping community partnerships and private donors.

Some previous projects have hit major roadblocks when private donors have fallen through, but the admin is not concerned. CPE Athletics Director Ken Duncliffe said, “If we don’t achieve $27.1 million, then we go back to our priorities…We will not [begin construction] until the fees are in place.”

Built in 1972 to serve a population of 2500 students, UTM has grown to 6400 students and with the double cohort just months ahead and the potential Peel region growth, the current facilities are inadequate.

If the $27.1 million expected to complete the project is achieved, students could see a fitness complex complete with a 25-metre swimming pool and triple gymnasium. However, the $27.1 million does not include the second part of the fitness centre—a studio with cardio, strength and weights equipment. That will cost another $8 million and will be contingent on further funds becoming available. Also contingent on further funding is the $1.4 million outdoor rink and the $2.1 million field-house.

“We first have to look at our enrolment and interest rates,” said business services manager Christine Capewell. “Nothing is confirmed and we can’t commit to anything beyond the [main fitness complex].”