After the loud construction noises that filled the building all throughout the 2003-2004 academic year, Hart House’s new elevator has finally been completed; its grand opening took place last Thursday.

The opening drew students as well as Toronto media, along with a large contingent of disabled and elderly patrons who were experiencing parts of the building for the first time with the aid of the elevator. The addition means that people in wheelchairs can access all five floors of Hart House, including Hart House Theatre in the basement.

Visitors who came to the opening took rides on the elevator, which was manned by a red-suited operator. Different kinds of food were served on each floor.

“The elevator is a good investment,” said student and part-time Hart House employee Laura Jamer. “We have over a thousand yearly events in the Hart House and a lot of people who have knee problems, hip problems and people in wheelchairs can now finally get access to more than just the ground floor.”

Hart House was established in 1919 and has been in operation for over 80 years. So why did it take so long to make it accessible to seniors and people with disabilities?

Debra Bond-Gorr, Executive Director of Hart House, said that the challenge was to meet Heritage Canada’s standards for renovating heritage buildings.

“The elevator had to fit the Building’s unique Gothic architecture and not harm any of its internal components during construction,” she said. “To make sure this happened, the bigger challenge was to raise a large enough budget which came to $2 million.

“We had to look for community support. After a long process, fortunately for us, the Government of Canada [through its Cultural Spaces program] came on board, as well as U of T’s Provost’s and President’s offices, SAC’s Wheelchair Access Committee (SAC WAC), and, of course, private donations.”

Most importantly, said Bond-Gorr, “the students of U of T agreed to a levy of $3 per student for three years to make the project happen because they thought it was extremely important for their fellow students to enjoy facilities in this building.

“As far as we’re concerned,” she continued, “the students at U of T were the big part that made it happen. It was their will and their desire to help their fellow students in the years to come to make this student centre available to everyone.”

Caroline Pererra, Hart House’s Senior Development Officer, said that the elevator is only one part of a larger effort to make the student centre accessible.

“The project also includes the corridor we have created that leads from the athletic wing to the main wing,” she said. “Just like the elevator, the corridor’s walls were specially designed to make its appearance fit with the historical architecture of the building.”

“I think it’s great that we have managed to do so much for accessibility to the House,” say U of T student Brian Farly. “This is in line with Hart House’s golden rule that we are a welcoming place, open to everyone on campus no matter their circumstances. [This elevator] is a great contribution to this vision.”