The UC Follies’ upcoming production of Godspell looks to share some joy and childlike wonder with people of all faiths. The Follies, led by the team that produced last season’s highly praised A Chorus Line, present a playful look at the Gospel of Matthew, imparting a message of faith and friendship through a wide variety of dance and music.

Central to the action and philosophy of the show is the art of clowning-though not the kind that you’d find at a circus. The cast has been training in the Pochenko style of clowning, a technique based on the routines of street buskers. Instead of using face paint and red noses, these clowns seek to open up the inner world of wonder in themselves and the audience.

“Clowning breaks down the intellect and allows the intuitive side of the brain to come through,” explains director Elenna Mosoff.

This strongly un-academic approach is essential to the spirit of the show, says dramaturge Byron Laviolette. “Clowning helps us take something as intellectual as religion has become and makes it fresh, childlike, and more natural. The action evokes a human reaction­-not one that’s based on the literature of the show, but on that spirit itself.”

Breaking down barriers, especially religious ones, is central to the Follies’ vision of the show. While the Gospel of Matthew is a Christian text, Mosoff and the cast have sought to promote “a universal message of faith, not necessarily in Jesus, but in each other.”

The cast itself brings together performers from many faith backgrounds, and Mosoff says that part of the growth of the show has been in the blending and understanding of these different influences. Ultimately, she reports, the cast has been able to unify around the open concept of the show itself. “The faith is in the show and in the message,” a coming together that the cast hopes to share with the audience.

Amidst this philosophical backdrop, however, there is a show to do, and Godspell is well known for its many hit songs, including “Day by Day,” “Save the People,” and “Prepare Ye the Way of the Lord.” Dramaturge Laviolette, vocal director Maria Galanopoulos, and choreographer Michelle Rhodes have been hard at work getting this ensemble cast of 21 performers from all walks of theatrical life to work together in creating a unified whole, a process that all say has been quite gratifying.

Rhodes enjoyed the challenge of working with some non-dancers and bringing in styles “from the ‘mashed potato’ to the ‘pony'” that she normally doesn’t get to teach for the stage. And with the importance of the story in mind, Laviolette has focused on “how to infuse a musical with a strong dramatic element” so that the message comes across on many levels.

Director Mosoff is most proud of the fact that “everyone gets a chance to shine” amongst the large ensemble. The show has become a collective effort, and it is this spirit of community that the people behind Godspell hope their show can promote.

“The world is in a dark time. We’re all sensitive to how sad the world is right now. This [rehearsal] process has brought some light to us as a cast, and the show itself has been something nice to look forward to. We hope the message of love and a universal human faith will spread, and that people realize that things aren’t as bad as they seem-to effect change you have to work for it, and for that people have to listen to each other,” Mosoff says. “If the audience can walk away having a bit more faith in anything, then we’ve done our job.”

Godspell runs Feb. 3-12 at Hart House Theatre. Tickets are $15 or $12 for students/seniors at 416-97UTTIX.