Hugh MacIntyre
Slate: New Deal

The lowdown: MacIntyre is a third-year student in history and political science. He has worked in Conservative MP Peter Van Loan’s constituency office and has been a member-at-large for VUSAC.

The platform: MacIntyre may be lacking in student politics experience, but not ideas. Citing concerns of financial waste, he vows to accept a $5,000 pay cut to fund a cash pool for needy students as part of what his slate termed “A New Deal for Integrity.” Some of his other ideas are even more novel: a 24-hour response service for student queries, monthly meetings and weekly updates on UTSU expenditures. With an eye towards U of T’s moribund school spirit, MacIntyre wants to bring back Homecoming. “It’s the sort of thing that needs to be built into a tradition and it needs to be done well,” he said.

The pitch: “My time working in a constituency office and my many years of political activism have taught me the importance of a government that listens to the electorate. This is as true for student government as it is for any other kind of government. As your VP internal I will ensure that the student union works for you. Vote for a new deal and you will get an executive interested in maximizing student fees for student benefit and offering mature advocacy and representation.”
-Sana Ahmed

Faraz Siddiqui
Slate: Your Team

The lowdown: Siddiqui studies biology and bioethics and has a great deal of experience on campus. He has served for two years on the University Affairs Board of Governing Council. Siddiqui has served as VP of the Muslim Students’ Association and co-ordinated this year’s Health and Human Rights Conference at U of T.

The platform: Siddiqui will include eye exams in the Health and Dental Plan, establish a free essay-printing service at UTSU’s office, and bring the ISIC service to UTM. He also promised greater accountability to students, noting that “a lot of students want to know where [their money] is going.”

The pitch: “I have the skills to provide and advocate for increased student services. Vote Siddiqui-I’m on your team.”
-Naushad Ali Husein