In existence for barely a year, NYC’s Apache Beat first caught my attention back in March when they played an impassioned set at Keith Hamilton’s Pitter Patter Festival. Since then, the quintet has received praise in the British press, toured Europe and—just last week—dropped their first record, the Tropics seven-inch.

Founded by stylish and commanding front-woman Ilirjana Alushaj and dapper guitarist Philip Aceto, Apache Beat came together with the addition of drummer Neil Westgate, bassist Mike Dos Santos, and Christina Aceto on synthesizer to create music that they describe as “dark, destructive and beautiful.” Without a doubt, they do that here on A-side “Tropics.” Apparently-disjointed percussion and guitars are artfully melded by oozing synths, writhing bass riffs, and feverish vocals rapt in lament and wide-eyed admonition. To reclaim my own label, which was shamelessly lifted by NME to describe Apache Beat, “Tropics” is storm pop at its definitive best. But it doesn’t stop there. Flip the beautifully designed single over, and discover the equally praise-worthy B-side “Your Powers are Magic.” Less spastic than “Tropics,” this track retains the band’s signature popnoir aesthetic and introduces it to prepossessing, almost-orchestral, delay-heavy guitar work. From it a number of awe-inspiring moments arise: the introduction of the synth line in the second verse, the rising and releasing tension in Alushaj’s vocals, and the amazing, almost mathy interaction between the percussion and guitars make me think that their powers are magic. The result is a very unique song that melodically could actually pass as a dark, modern, Christmas carol. It’s not often that veritable creative forces and pure musicianship are this in-step with each other. Buy Tropics and add Apache Beat to your favourite music before they breeze through their way-too-limited pressing of 500 copies.

Rating: