Montreal-based Concordia University is facing budget cuts in all its programs after losing $4 million this year and forecasting a deficit of $10 million for the next year. “[The deficit] is very small compared to other universities, but it is a problem,” said David Graham, provost and VP academic affairs .

Concordia lost $11 million of its yearly financing in 2006 when Quebec changed the funding formula for universities. Since then the provincial funding growth lagged behind salary increases and tuition fees were frozen. To compound problems, after working without a contract for close to seven years, the university’s union is now demanding higher wages.

Although the $6 million budget cuts needed to correct the deficit will be spread across all faculties of the university, the Engineering and Computer Science departments will face the largest cuts. “It’s difficult to be high quality and low cost,” said Mr. Graham, “nobody wants to be the Wal-Mart of education.”

Graham hinted at shifting the burden onto students, citing higher tuition in nearby Ontario: “This isn’t my problem, or the university’s problem. This is our problem, and students are going to have to take some ownership of this issue if we’re all going to get through it.”