The line snaked around the block at Bloor Cinema, but it wasn’t for a classic film or a Hollywood blockbuster. U of T’s chapter of the Ontario Public Interest Research Group played host last Monday to Naomi Klein, author and U of T alumna, in town to promote her latest book. In The Shock Doctrine: the Rise of Disaster Capitalism, Klein challenges the idea that democracy and laissez-faire capitalism go hand in hand, arguing the coupling only benefits the elite.

A cornerstone of Klein’s thesis is that times of shock, such as political upheaval and natural disasters, are exploited to push through economic policies. When the majority of the population is either too distracted or powerless to form any kind of opposition, says Klein, the drastic deregulation of markets and public spending slashes characteristic of Chicago School economics are often implemented.

Klein pointed to the recent Wall Street financial crisis. “[This] is one of those shock moments when the shock doctrine is applied,” she said. “I think what we’ve been witnessing in Washington and on Wall Street is a very concerted effort to benefit the very people who are most responsible for creating that economic crisis.”

The night was also devoted to the importance of grassroots activism in pushing issues into the political limelight. “Why can’t First Nations rights be that kind of national, broad-based issue?” asked Klein, comparing First Nations advocacy with climate change initiatives. All proceeds from the talk went to the Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory and the Algonquins of Berriere Lake.

Prominent Toronto activists also took to the stage. John Clarke, Ontario Coalition Against Poverty founder, was among them. “In this city […] there has been massive under-funding of public housing,” he said. “People are living under conditions that are beyond belief.” OCAP led a street takeover at Gerrard and Parliament on Oct. 4 to highlight these issues.

Other speakers included representatives from the Tyendinaga Support Committee, No One is Illegal, the Coalition Against Israeli Aparteid and the Toronto Coalition to Stop the War.

Klein echoed their call for action. “These powerful forces are much, much weaker than we think and it’s time to remember that we’re much, much stronger than we think,” she said.

Naomi Klein is also the author of No Logo: Taking Aim at the Brand Bullies, as well as the writer and producer of The Take, a documentary about Argentinean labour struggles.