While U of T proudly rattles off distinguished alumni, the university also has budding talent among its ranks. Tajja Isen, a first-year English major, has worked on over 30 animated shows. For her voice-over role as Atomic Betty in the show of the same name, Isen won a Gemini for for Best Individual or Ensemble Performance in an Animated Television Show or Series last Tuesday.

“I’ve always had a passion for acting and music, and was really encouraged by my parents at an early age,” said 18-year-old Isen. Starting piano lessons at the age of four, she began composing her own songs and acting in several community shows. By nine, she wanted an agent.

During one of her community performances, Isen was encouraged by an organizer to try out for the part of young Nala in the Lion King production at the Princess of Wales theatre. She got the part and at age 10 performed in the show for over 11 months.

Isen went on to take roles in shows such as Jane The Dragon, The Berenstein Bears, and Jojo Circus. She sang the theme song for Atomic Betty, and recorded a spinoff soundtrack of 10 songs. The commercial release of the Atomic Betty album gave her a full membership in the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences.

“Toronto is a rich centre for voice-over work,” Isen said. “I was just getting into it when they were using kids for kids’ voices instead of adults, so I was very fortunate.”

Isen started work on Atomic Betty at age 12, and played the role of Betty for over four years. The show ended its last season recently, and she faced formidable competition from the show Grossology, which had two nominees in her category.

“I couldn’t believe it!” she said of her Gemini win. “I know it sounds clichéd, but I didn’t expect it to happen. It was a huge recognition for me. It was very humbling.”

Isen has been acting in two other shows, recording up to two episodes a week. She admits to having a “killer schedule,” but keeps on top of things with what she describes as “meticulous time management.”

“I’ve been balancing the acting and academics long enough to know what works for me,” Isen said. She also credits the variety offered by acting, singing, and academics as something that has created a sense of balance in her life.

Isen is also recording an album of self-written songs, which she affectionately calls “very jazzy, piano-centred alternative pop.” She’s currently working with distinguished producers Jon Kelly, Paul Wickens, and Jimmy Douglass. Kelly has produced albums for Kate Bush and Paul McCartney, while Wickens is McCartney’s keyboardist. Douglass, a longtime collaborator, is a Grammy-winning producer.

What lies ahead for Isen after undergrad? “Ideally, I’d like to keeping going with music and academics, and I would love to see the English degree through to a PhD,” she said. “But first and foremost, I’d like to see my music career blossom.”