The first e-readers, Rocketbook and Softbook, were developed and released in 1998, but it is only in recent years that e-readers and e-books have gained popularity. Since then, products like the Sony eReader, Nook Reader, and Kobo have followed suit — albeit not garnering as much success as the Kindle. The e-reader has even affected book sales, as Amazon announced that its e-book sales outnumbered paperback sales in the last three months of 2010.

This is impressive and all, but can e-books ever replace the tangible experience of reading an actual paper book? Thanks to advanced ink technology, e-readers can be easy on the eyes — a rather important factor for those long bookworm nights. A special type of electronic paper, called ‘e-ink,’ rearranges charged particles through an applied electric field, forming visual images. Titanium dioxide particles are dispersed within hydrocarbon oil, along with a dark-coloured dye and charging agents to give them an electronic charge. This mixture is placed between two parallel conductive plates, and when a voltage is applied between the two plates, the particles migrate to the side with an opposite charge. Ergonomic functionality is taken into account, since electronic ink is designed to eliminate the eye strain usually produced by a back-lit screen, like the one on your computer. Additionally, the carefully-sized screens function perfectly in direct sunlight and do a nice job of mimicking paper.

Aside from an e-reader’s unique specifications, the portable books certainly have advantages over physical books. The compact nature of the device is great for student living — which is often confined to notoriously small spaces. As an ardent booklover living in a tiny apartment, having three bookcases and 100 DVDs can really crowd the space. A 10-ounce, 6-inch e-reader however, can sort all that out.

The general vibe from readers is uncertain. They feel on the fence choosing between e-readers and paperbacks. The Kindle is for portable reading, while paper books are for the bookcase at home. It’s not uncommon to hear people say that nothing can replace the tactile feel of real paper. This might change, however, as e-readers like the Kindle take on cutting-edge technology and improve their user interface. Wired magazine reports that consumers can expect a new Amazon tablet this fall — bigger and better than previous e-reader tablets. The new product runs on Android and is expected to rival Apple’s tablet design, which shares a similar user-interface. When it does come out, expect to see comments in the thousands on Amazon that analyze and compare the Kindle’s features along with other e-readers.
Along with a sweet new look, prospective e-reader consumers should also take into account the convenience, storage ease, and environmental benefits that come with a compact device. Countless sheets of paper can be saved by being digitized and even companies could reap the environmental benefits of having a greener office supply. In any case, it doesn’t hurt to crack open an old beautiful book and enjoy the sweet smell of learning.