Between lectures, readings, midterms, and finals there is little time for students to create new friendships, let alone date. Enter Love at School, a new dating website specifically for university students.

“When you’re in school and you have a lot of work, online dating can be more convenient than going out trying to meet someone new,” co-founder and third-year U of T student Andrew Danks said.

JANICE LIU/THE VARSITY

Previously known as Love at U of T — a dating website specifically for U of T students — Love at School was re-launched on January 9 to include all Canadian universities.

Founders Andrew Danks and recent U of T graduate Lori Lee created the website by themselves before adding Laurier student Brian Kwok as the head of marketing to the project.

With little promotion, the website has grown drastically. Around 250 messages are sent daily among over 2,200 students across universities like U of T, Wilfred Laurier, and Waterloo.

Danks said that what makes Love at School unique is that the website is designed and created specifically for university students to make new bonds.

“You know [members] will be reasonably within your age range, so it is a lot safer and a lot more authentic. [It] gives the student a better experience online,” Danks said.

According to him, online dating is usually associated with a “creepy factor” because you don’t know much about the person on the other end.

“There’s no way of saying hoWWw old they really are or how real they are,” the third-year computer science and mathematics student said.

[pullquote]You know [members] will be reasonably within your age range, so it is a lot safer and a lot more authentic. [It] gives the student a better experience online.[/pullquote]

To create an account, members are required to use their Canadian post-secondary email addresses.

Danks maintained that the use of a post-secondary email account gives students a better experience online.

Samantha, 18, said that Love at School being catered to a university crowd makes her feel more at ease. She acknowledged that on other dating websites, you’ll meet a people from different age groups, but with this website, you’re placed with other university students with similar interests.

“I strongly believe that most people are attracted to other people who share the same interests and experiences as them,” second-year U of T student Ricky , 19, said.

Samantha shared that she has heard a few success stories. However, she admitted that though the website is good for meeting new people, she doesn’t see herself forming a sincere relationship with anyone on the site.

According to co-creator Danks, another aspect that sets Love at School apart is that it’s geared toward helping LGBT students date.

“It’s much harder for [LGBTQ students] to meet because you just can’t ask someone if they’re LGBT,” Danks said.

Ricky is looking for other queer-identified men and believes this site will make dating easier. However, since he hasn’t taken full advantage of the site, he has been unsuccessful.

Although both Samantha and Ricky have yet to benefit from the website, Danks said that he has received feedback from people who have met new people.

“It feels great knowing that I created a medium where students can easily meet new people and discover new relationships,” Danks said.