In June 2013, the long road to my graduation culminated with the convocation ceremony, which celebrated my own achievements as well as those of hundreds of other students — most of whom I had never met. That is how things appear at U of T — it is a huge university. When you graduate, your friends may not even be at the same ceremony; you probably will not even know the people in your section of Convocation Hall, but is this indicative of the university being a cold, one-size-fits-all, education for the masses school? No. Despite the swathes of students that attend this great institution — and despite the fact that the community may, at times, feel too big — when you are sitting in Convocation Hall, sweating through your robes because of the summer heat, everyone else in that room with you will be sharing the same feelings of pride and accomplishment.

While our campus community can sometimes feel fragmented, every one of us is sure to leave this institution with some common experiences: those long nights at Robarts, the anxiety over your first conversation with a professor, stress over assignments, and more. We must all endure the trials that are part and parcel of a university education, and we all grow because of it.

We share these bonds by virtue of being students at this school, no matter its size. It is up to the individual to avail themselves of what the university has to offer. U of T can be a big and intimidating place, but it does not have to be. Remember, everyone else is going through the same process as you are — stress, frustration, deadlines — but they are also making friends, forging new relationships, and expanding their intellectual horizons. Toronto has a lot to offer, and it would be a shame for anyone to coast through their time here. In order to get the most out of your experience, it is important to give this place your best — in return, you will grow as a student and as a person. The journey is not easy, but it is rewarding and full of surprises. We go to university not only to get an education, but also to discover our interests and motivations.

Every year, students get discouraged and can feel excluded because of the sheer size of our university, but it is important to remember that your peers are going through the same ups and downs. U of T is full of opportunities for personal growth and edification. As a new alumnus, my advice to current students, and especially new students, is this: get involved in things you are interested in — look at your courses as opportunities rather than chores
— and do not get lost in the crowd; find yourself in what you choose to study and in the activities you choose to pursue.

David Gelles is a recent graduate.