Studying at one of the most challenging universities in the country can be challenging. Whether it’s tackling the endless lists of readings, paying back OSAP, or simply attempting the impossible task of finding a study room at Robarts, for most students, stress is a year-long affair.

ARNOLD YEUNG/THE VARSITY

ARNOLD YEUNG/THE VARSITY

Stress is the body’s reaction to forces that disturb its physiological equilibrium, and every person experiences stress differently. As you probably know, stress can also have negative psychological effects. The strategies that students use to cope with stress in university — whether good or bad — will stay with them as they move on from U of T. Fortunately, the university offers a variety of resources to help students develop healthy ways of dealing with stress. It’s important to take advantage of these resources. Stress can seriously affect mental and physical health, but it can be managed in healthy and constructive ways.

It can be very challenging to balance school, work, co-curriculars, and staying healthy. However, students who make an effort to find a balance may find themselves with less stress in their lives. This is a guiding principle behind many of the relevant services offered to U of T students. The Academic Success Centre (ASC) offers tips for coping with stress online — such as study with friends, visualize success, and take a break. The ASC also holds workshops on stress management. The U of T chapter of MoveU, an organization that is “your one-stop resource for active, healthy fun,” offers information and activities that help students maintain a healthy lifestyle. Move
U of T holds events that make it easy for students to be healthy, such as smoothie-making competitions and mobile yoga classes.

If stress becomes overwhelming, students can stop by Counselling and Psychological Services to make an appointment or to take a coping skills workshop. Stress management also could be as simple as taking a break every so often, and possibly filling that time with a free massage at Hart House (offered every Monday, 12–3 pm).