This past April, Julie Zhang and Linh Nguyen, co-managers of Caffiends, were informed that the student-run café currently located in Victoria College was being considered for relocation to the Goldring Student Centre. According to Zhang and Nguyen, college administration has debated a potential move since 2011–2012.

“We found out about the reallocation from the incoming VUSAC [Victoria University Students’ Administrative Council] president Rowan DeBues… We were quite surprised as this was our first time hearing about it, and we were confused as to why we had not been informed about our imminent reallocation prior to that day,” said Nguyen.

While Nguyen claimed that she was never made aware of any past location issues, Zhang said that she knew Caffiends used to be located in a larger space but was then moved into its present location, a refurbished storage closet in Old Vic with a counter, sink, and furniture.

“We are currently contacting as many people [as] possible, as well as garnering support for the café,” said Zhang.

Zhang and Nguyen said that a relocation would be time-consuming, and would result in competition with Ned’s Café, which is operated by Victoria University Food Services in the Goldring Student Centre.

According to Kelley Castle, Victoria College dean of students, the Goldring Student Centre, which houses many other student services, is an obvious home for the café.

“I know that some students want to stay in the temporary space, but it is needed for our quickly expanding academic programs such as Vic One, VIC100’s and new upper- year programs — each of which need to be housed in the academic building. I believe that Caffiends would benefit from the Goldring Student Centre, which is abuzz with student, staff, and faculty activity,” said Castle.

When asked about the alleged lack of communication between college administration and students, Castle said that both her and the college bursar have spoken with the VUSAC on numerous occasions about the relocation of Caffiends.

“We have been working through different options since last term.  It seems we were not clear enough about the urgency of the move, which is unfortunate,” said Castle.

DeBues agreed that the reasons for the proposed relocation are valid. However, he expressed concern over college administration’s handling of the issue.

“Rather than sitting to talk with me and the co-managers about the issue, all information has been passed down through a chain of people. I was told about the issue by Castle, who in turn was informed by the bursar, who stated that while it isn’t his call to make, it is his professional opinion,” said DeBues.

“Caffiends has been going since 2006, and since then has always been based in Old Vic. According to those associated with it, that’s where its ethos and identity are based. The irony to me, is that the space that Caffiends was first located in, and was initially promised to have back, has been sitting empty throughout the year, under renovation,” DeBues added.

According to DeBues, it is unlikely that any movement on the issue will occur until Victoria College president Paul Gooch returns from medical leave in late June.

Linh Nguyen is a contributor to The Varsity.