The role of the university’s campus police has come under increased scrutiny after a violent assault against a professor at the St. George Campus. An individual was arrested and charged following a knife attack on a U of T senior lecturer last Wednesday, which caused cuts to the lecturer’s wrists, thighs, and face. The incident raised concerns about the protocols in place to ensure the safety of staff, faculty, and students.

After receiving disturbing emails, the lecturer alerted administration and campus police about the behavior, who allegedly failed to act to protect the professor.

Althea Blackburn-Evans, U of T director of media relations, said that campus police support the university’s academic mission by creating a safe and equitable environment for all members of the university campus.

Blackburn-Evans said that campus police work closely with municipal police in a variety of functions. “Campus police refer all incidents that may violate the Criminal Code to the local municipal Police Service. When requested Campus Police support the investigative efforts of Toronto Police,” she said.

University of Toronto Campus Police Special Constables are designated as Peace Officers through the Toronto Police Service Board. Special Constables are appointed peace officers as per the Ontario Police Services Act. Their powers include the ability to arrest, search, and seize, as well as to lay criminal charges.

Forensic Identification Specialists also work on the university’s three campuses. The specialists are trained to gather evidence and apprehend offenders. Any suspects apprehended by campus police are transferred to city police centers, where they are processed and held.

According to their annual report, campus police directly enforce the Criminal Code of Canada, Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, Trespass to Property Act of Ontario, Liquor License of Ontario and municipal by-laws. They have the added prerogative of enforcing the University of Toronto Student Code of Conduct.

Scott Prudham, president of the University of Toronto Faculty Association (UTFA), declined comment on campus safety in light of the recent stabbing incident. “We are not prepared to comment at this time other than to say that maintaining a safe environment for faculty and librarians to do their work at the University is a concern for us and we do our part to ensure that” he said.

In 2001, University of Toronto professor David Buller was stabbed and killed while working in his office. The case remains unsolved.