John Monahan was appointed Hart House Warden today at an in-camera meeting of the University Affairs Board of the Governing Council. His five-year term will begin on August 4, 2015 and end on June 30, 2020.

A search for a new Warden commenced in winter 2015 after Bruce Kidd, the previous Warden, became interim vice-president and principal of UTSC in December 2014. The advisory search committee was composed of students, staff, faculty members, and alumni. The committee recommended Monahan’s appointment to the position, a suggestion that the administration accepted.

As an undergraduate, Monahan studied International Relations at Trinity College before pursuing an MPA from Dalhousie University, followed by a Diplôme d’Études françaises from l’Université Des Sciences Humaines de Strasbourg. He later obtained a JD degree from U of T Law.

With his background in labour, employment and immigration law, Monahan served as consul of Economic Affairs-Ontario at the Canadian Consulate-General in New York, and was Ontario’s first director of international representation and research.

In 2008, Monahan joined the Mosaic Institute, a “think and do” tank that promotes peace through inter-community dialogue and diaspora engagement.

Hart House is the primary student activity centre at the UTSG campus and houses a gym, swimming pool, theatre, library, and multiple event rooms. The 100-year-old building is set for renovations that will repair its plumbing and heating.